Copied Dates Not Triggering Automations?

Options
ChrisMcG
ChrisMcG ✭✭✭✭
edited 07/21/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hey there:

I'm having some problems with automations: I often have a batch of rows that share a trigger date. If I manually enter a date for the first row, and then copy and paste it into the subsequent fields, the automation is ONLY triggering for the first row.

Is this a known issue?

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @ChrisMcG

Whether the date is manually entered or copied into the cell, it should still trigger the workflow. Would you be able to post a screen capture of your workflow set-up and the source sheet (but block out sensitive data)? There may be something else preventing the other rows from triggering.

Thanks,

Genevieve

• ChrisMcG
    ChrisMcG ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Genevieve-

Sorry for the delay, but I am finding that if I clear all the dates, save the sheet with blank cells, and then RE-ENTER them and re-save the sheet, the automation will then function as intended.

Here's the sheet: The Actual Pickup Date was entered initially- no triggering email sent. I followed the process listed above the image, and BOOM, alert email sent.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @ChrisMcG

Is it possible that the trigger for your workflow is set up to run only when a cell is changed versus when a cell is both added and changed? The former trigger won't send out an alert if the date is entered at the same time as the row creation.

• ChrisMcG
    ChrisMcG ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Genevieve: Thanks for the idea. I have confirmed that it's set to both added and changed- it's an inconsistent thing. Sometimes the rows flow automatically with no problem. Sometimes, they sit there languishing until I clear the contents and try again.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @ChrisMcG

Do you have any Condition blocks on your workflow?

• ChrisMcG
    ChrisMcG ✭✭✭✭
    Options

nope! Just a straight date flow.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @ChrisMcG

Apologies for the delay! Thank you for this screen capture. Since the trigger is changed manually, it is unexpected that the workflow won't run every time. Please contact Support with all the information you've provided here, along with the sheet URL and workflow ID.

Thanks!

Genevieve