Form Entries are Negative

Options
Amy Arnold
Amy Arnold ✭✭✭✭
edited 06/01/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Weekly I have about 15 sites completing the form linked below. The issue, I have roughly two random users each week entering a negative one into the form. One user who is pretty savvy indicated the form is defaulting to a negative one. https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/ebc99e53148a4a479060b3d695321030

I have NOT setup any logic in the form. I have applied a number validation to the student and staff questions but the default value was left blank. Yet, I'm not sure how a field can default to a negative one.

Within the form, I do not see how to prevent a user from entering a negative number.

My next thought was, I should setup automation to request an update from the person who submitted the entry if the number is less than zero.

Has anyone encountered this? Does anyone have another idea?

Thanks in advance 🙌

Answers

• MVP OPS
    MVP OPS ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Amy Arnold

You could make the column a dropdown. Put your numbers in excel or google sheet, and copy and paste into your column.

best,

Brad

www.MVPOPS.com

• Amy Arnold
    Amy Arnold ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@MVP OPS thanks for the reply and good thought.

The data entered into the form are random numbers from 0 to 500 plus. I cannot predict the responses so a dropdown probably wouldn't work.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Amy Arnold

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to MVP's excellent advice/answer.

As a workaround, you could add a Workflow combined with an automated update request that would trigger if there's, for example, a negative answer so they can update it to the correct value(s).

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Chris K
    Chris K ✭✭✭
    Options

We just ran into this issue as well. Occasionally, when 0 is entered on the form it puts a random negative number in the cell. We created a conditional format to highlight the row when a negative number is entered and added a workflow automation to alert us to the negative number.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi all!

Jumping in here to let you know that Forms have received a number of small updates this week; the issue you're describing where numbers are being entered as negative is linked to form input fields with number validation having tiny scroll arrows in the input field. When using a mouse wheel to scroll through the form, the number changes while the mouse is over the number field.

This has now been updated - scroll has been removed from number validation fields! Here's more information: NEW! Forms minor updates and enhancements

Cheers,

Genevieve