Updates Occur After Date Specified is Reached

Options
SMullen
SMullen ✭✭✭
edited 06/16/22 in Formulas and Functions

I need for updates to Profile sheet to pull data from Exception sheet only when the date is reached based on the employee #.

Scenario: An employee wants to increase their 401K contribution by $100 every quarter. Profile has Benefit Effective Date: 4/1/22, 401K Contribution: $100.

Exception sheet has 3 exceptions submitted: 1) benefit effective date 7/1/22, 401K contribution $200. 2) benefit effective date 10/1/22, 401K contribution $300; 3) benefit effective date 1/1/23, 401K contribution $400.

I need the profile sheet Benefit Effective Date to update from the Exception sheet on 7/1/22 with the date 7/1/22 so the benefit column will pull the $200. This is needed so payroll can begin making the correct deduction.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @SMullen

Thank you for clarifying and for adding your formula!

In this case I would use the MAX Function instead of INDEX to bring back the most recent date, based on your criteria in the COLLECT function:

=MAX(COLLECT({Payroll Exception Sheet 401K Eff Date}, {Payroll Exception Sheet Emp ID}, [Emp ID]@row, {Payroll Exception Sheet 401K Eff Date}, <=TODAY()))

Let me know if this gives you the data you're looking for.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @SMullen

Do you already have the formula set up to pull the $200 based on the Employee # and the Date, and you're just looking for a way to update the Date cell to the correct one?

If so, I would set up a Record a Date workflow that update your Date column on specific date:

If I've misunderstood the question, I think it would be helpful to see screen captures of your two sheets, but please block out sensitive data (or copy the sheets and use example data instead).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• SMullen
    SMullen ✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P.

I need the formula in the Profile Benefit Effective Date cell to pull the transaction from the Exception sheet when the date is reached but not before. This will enable the new benefits to take effect on 7/1/22 in this example.

The formula tried: =INDEX(COLLECT({Payroll Exception Sheet 401K Eff Date}, {Payroll Exception Sheet Emp ID}, [Emp ID]@row, {Payroll Exception Sheet 401K Eff Date}, <=TODAY()), 1) The issue: COLLECT pulls the 1st instance of the criteria which means the subsequent dates are not pulled since 4/1/22 is the 1st instance recorded and is less than today.

Any formula suggestion that can pull the most recent date including today not beyond today?

Sheila

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @SMullen

Thank you for clarifying and for adding your formula!

In this case I would use the MAX Function instead of INDEX to bring back the most recent date, based on your criteria in the COLLECT function:

=MAX(COLLECT({Payroll Exception Sheet 401K Eff Date}, {Payroll Exception Sheet Emp ID}, [Emp ID]@row, {Payroll Exception Sheet 401K Eff Date}, <=TODAY()))

Let me know if this gives you the data you're looking for.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• SMullen
    SMullen ✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P.

Thank you! It works exactly as needed!

Cheers,

Sheila

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!