Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Improved integration with SQL

Options
Seth Morth
Seth Morth ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi!

I have some grumpy developers with a HUGE ask, likely impossible, but at the very least difficult. If it is easy then roll it out!

Have better cel controls where only Text is allowed, or only a real Number, or only an Advanced Number. These are things that MS-Excel cannot do, and if Smartsheet can do there would be much joy and singing and a rush to use it by the coders of the world.

1 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• smartsheetdev.io
    Options

Hi @Seth Morth ,

I'm not sure if I understand your request correctly, but if you're pushing in the data via API to the Smartsheet than you're controlling which data goes where and in which format.

For example, if you want to push text only to the specific column than before pushing the data to the Smartsheet you can check if data type is string or integer or float. Simple IF statement solves the issue.

Also, when you get the data back from Smartsheet it actually returns displayValue and value from the cell, please see below where displayValue is a string and value will be float.

• Etienne Mermillod
    Etienne Mermillod ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/18/22
    Options

Hi,

currently you cannot enforce type within smartsheet, such as int, float, or only text, only char...

One possible option would be to create a helper column next to it that enfore the value , such as for int:

=IF(INT([Column6]@row) = [Column6]@row, [Column6]@row, 0)

for number :

IF(ISNUMBER([Column6]@row), [Column6]@row, 0)

and so on..