Project Assistant

Options
Dennis M Wierzbicki
Dennis M Wierzbicki ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/28/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello. The new Project Assistant is an interesting feature, but I was wondering if one could change the basic project outline, in terms of adding columns, etc., such that all projects generated with the Project Assistant would look like the new project?

In addition, the current Project Assistant only generates two high-level WBS elements. Can it be made to generate as many as the user desires?

Thanks, Dennis

Answers

• Dennis M Wierzbicki
    Options

Nobody? Anyone? Anyone? Beuhler?

• Dennis W
    Options

Nobody can help me out?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Dennis M Wierzbicki

There currently isn't a way to customize the Project Assistant to create a specific sheet configuration with additional hierarchies or columns from within the set-up process.

I would suggest customizing your project after the items have been created, then save your items in Folder as a "template" for future projects. Then you can copy the entire folder with Save as New to create a duplicate project with your preferred set-up!

Please also provide your feedback around the Project Assistant flow to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community. This will allow other users to vote on your enhancement idea!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Dennis M Wierzbicki
    Options

Genevieve,

Thanks for your reply. Customizing the output of the Project Assistant, and saving as a template, means the project assistant only being used once, and needing to be heavily customized at that, then from there, it's just a regular template, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting. In short, not terribly useful, and certainly not useful enough to be included in the Solution Center.

What am I missing?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Dennis M Wierzbicki

You're correct, I'm suggesting to use the Assistant to generate the first set-up, then create your own, regular template from that afterwards.

The Assistant can help you quickly create a Sheet, two Reports, and Dashboard all linked together in one new Workspace, but the customization after the initial creation at this point is up to you and your specific process. It helps you skip the step of needing to manually create individual items and set up the connections... a starting point, not a pre-built solution.

The Project Assistant is a fairly new feature so I'm sure the Product team would love to hear your feedback as a user comfortable with Smartsheet and generating other templates!

Thank you,

Genevieve

• Dennis M Wierzbicki
    Options

Genevieve,,

Thanks. I'm the one setting up new project plans, and I don't need the Project Assistant. I was hoping it might be something I could release to general users, but since it has very limited power, and requires substantial intervention (by me) in even the best case, I won't be doing this.

Thanks for your replies.

Dennis