How do I share a Dynamic View

Options
Jake Taylor
Jake Taylor ✭✭✭
edited 07/06/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I must be missing something very obvious. I've created a Dynamic View of a schedule that is filtered based on a column that contains contacts. I assigned a contact, that didn't automatically alert the person assigned. In the sharing tab of DV I added their email. That didn't alert them. I read in several places in the community forum about sharing a URL to the Dynamic View. I can't seem to find any place to generate a URL specifically for a Dynamic View. I can share the entire schedule, but this seems to show everything.

I log in to the Dynamic View "portal" (not sure what it's called) and I don't see any place to share a link to a particular view.

How can it be this difficult to achieve what seems like the most basic functionality of this add-on?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Jake Taylor

You are correct: if you have the View set to "Restrict view by current user" based on a Contact Column in your sheet, then the URL is accessed by a contact that you've shared to the view and they log in:

Then yes, they should only see the rows in the view that their email is associated with (based on the "Visibility" column).

I would recommend sharing your View by providing collaborators with this link: https://dynamicview.smartsheet.com/

This will open to a Home page in Dynamic View where they can see all the Views they're shared to, including yours.

You can of course provide them with the direct URL to open up just your specific view if that's preferable (for example, from a Smartsheet Dashboard or an email alert set up in the source sheet).

If your Gmail account can still see more rows than it should, can you double check that the correct column was selected ("Visibility") and the correct contact filled out in that column? If this hasn't helped, it would be useful to see screen captures of your full set-up through each page of the View, and the final View that your Gmail account sees, but please block out sensitive data in the images.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jake Taylor

Copy the URL from the address bar at the top of your browser. That's the link you give someone. No, I don't believe it alerts them when you add someone.

• Jake Taylor
    Jake Taylor ✭✭✭
    edited 07/01/22
    Options

@Mike TV I copied that link and tried to access it from my personal gmail account (not associated with a Premium Smartsheet account) and the gmail account could see the entire schedule,. I have a column called "Visibility" which I'm using as the "Restrict view by current user" filter. I have my gmail address entered in a row item for that column and I've added my gmail address to the 'shared users' under this dynamic view. I would expect the gmail address to only be able to view the rows with that email account entered in the "Visibility" column, no?

It's a little frustrating that seemingly the most basic feature of Dynamic View is so unintuitive...I must be missing something.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Jake Taylor

You are correct: if you have the View set to "Restrict view by current user" based on a Contact Column in your sheet, then the URL is accessed by a contact that you've shared to the view and they log in:

Then yes, they should only see the rows in the view that their email is associated with (based on the "Visibility" column).

I would recommend sharing your View by providing collaborators with this link: https://dynamicview.smartsheet.com/

This will open to a Home page in Dynamic View where they can see all the Views they're shared to, including yours.

You can of course provide them with the direct URL to open up just your specific view if that's preferable (for example, from a Smartsheet Dashboard or an email alert set up in the source sheet).

If your Gmail account can still see more rows than it should, can you double check that the correct column was selected ("Visibility") and the correct contact filled out in that column? If this hasn't helped, it would be useful to see screen captures of your full set-up through each page of the View, and the final View that your Gmail account sees, but please block out sensitive data in the images.

Thanks!

Genevieve

• Jake Taylor
    Jake Taylor ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you @Genevieve P. this has helped me resolve the issue.