Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

User-selectable "Sticky" Form Response Fields

Options
Jeff Reisman
Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Allow users to indicate responses as "sticky" so they are prepopulated when the form refreshes. This would be helpful when users need to create groups of multiple form entries where some responses will be the same for each entry within a group, then need to change when starting the next group of entries.

In my case, we have warehouse employees scanning serial numbers of products when loading trucks. The fields on each row are Load #, Bill of Lading #, Model Code, Serial #. If you have to scan 100 serial numbers when loading a truck, where the Load #, BOL #, & Model Code will be the same for the next 99 entries, being able to select the first three fields as sticky and just - scan serial #/submit, scan serial #/submit, scan serial #/submit - would be super helpful.

As it stands now, they are scanning all 4 fields on their first entry, and then just serial # on the rows below it, potentially leading to data corruption if rows get moved, etc.

(BTW, Kelly Moore asked about this in 2020, I couldn't find it listed as an enhancement request though. https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/68180/sticky-fields-on-forms )

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

24 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Richard Heath
    Richard Heath ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I support this too.

We undertake Defect Inspections using a custom Form. We would typically 'defect' a room in a new building - currently, we need to select Building | Level | Room | every time we add a specific defect. Ideally, these first three selections are sticky, making input much faster.

• Matt C.
    Matt C. ✭✭✭
    Options

Think of a person repetetively submitting a form throughout the day. There are dropdown fields in that form with multiple choices. Once the form is submitted and another blank form reloads, I want to have the fields default value be the last value the user submitted. So in the example below, the user can select from 50+ different aisles. Chances are very good that the next ten or more submissions will be from the same aisle number (say 61). Can I have the next form that reloads have the last submission value as it's default? In this case aisle 61.

• It seems Smartsheet only worries about cash out, and not costumer services

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't really see how this relates to my product enhancement idea.

I would grade my customer service experience with Smartsheet over nearly 4 years at about 94%, which is pretty good. They've even added one of my ideas for a performance enhancement in form entries to the core product.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• DPullman
    DPullman
    edited 02/23/23
    Options

Hi, I am looking to do something similar, if our form is filled out and only some of the fields for the next request are different the user would like to be able to "copy" the form they just filled out and then adjust only the fields that are different. Essentially copy the form you just did, make a couple changes and submit new request.

• jchoate
    jchoate ✭✭
    Options

It is redundant (but currently necessary) to select fields such as date, store, department, and manager name each time when repeatedly submitting forms to document information such as safety issues. If form fields could be set to "remember previous entry" and then manually changed when one of the details changes, that would eliminate redundancy, increase efficiency, and increase the buy-in of managers to use the forms when they otherwise feel they are spending too much time re-entering the same information repeatedly. It would be most beneficial if this feature were user-specific.

• benisnotfunny
    benisnotfunny ✭✭✭
    edited 11/21/23
    Options

My users have about 10 fields to select for reach submission and all of them are required. We'd like an option in the form that allows us to submit and reuse date from previous form which would have them change only 1 field in each subsequent submission related to a single customer's request (multiple part numbers needed by a customer, but the sheet is designed to track each single part number needed as a unique request)

1. Maybe a checkbox adjacent to the submit button that says 'Submit and Reuse Form Data"
    2. Maybe 2 buttons that say 'Submit and Reset Form' or 'Submit and Reuse Current Data

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It looks like this idea is finally gaining a little traction. Some more VOTES would be great!

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

• This is such an obvious need, I hope it can be be implemented in Smartsheet soon.

A common task is collecting comments from attendees to a presentation, and want them to be able to make suggestions about individual slides if they want. If they have to re-enter their basic info very time they fill out the form, I’m not likely to get many comments.

Your help would be appreciated.