WorkApps vs Workspace

Options
Courtney
Courtney ✭✭✭
edited 04/05/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

What are some benefits of using a WorkApp over a Workspace?

I primarily use Smartsheet for project management with internal teams. Each team already has a dedicated Workspace that they have access to. We have access to WorkApps, and have created one for overall project ticketing but I am not sure when I would use it outside of that instance. Or, if it would be a benefit to the teams I support somehow.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• SRLinhardt
    SRLinhardt ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have started using work apps recently because we wanted to be able to customize for different roles. What I mean by this is there’s a difference between those of us (like you I am PM) to edit and manage many projects across departments, but wanted to be able to prioritize certain dashboards, reports, and sheets for some of our senior management roles.

Users are still able to manage their own smartsheet spaces, but from an executive perspective we have been able to create our own internal CRM type platform.

Answers

• SRLinhardt
    SRLinhardt ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have started using work apps recently because we wanted to be able to customize for different roles. What I mean by this is there’s a difference between those of us (like you I am PM) to edit and manage many projects across departments, but wanted to be able to prioritize certain dashboards, reports, and sheets for some of our senior management roles.

Users are still able to manage their own smartsheet spaces, but from an executive perspective we have been able to create our own internal CRM type platform.

• Courtney
    Courtney ✭✭✭
    Options

@SRLinhardt Thank you for your insight!

• tsengdad
    Options

I am Property Asset Manager and have properties in different cities with different management teams that does not cross each other. How can I set up the smartsheet with workspaces or workapps?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @tsengdad

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd recommend starting by adding Groups for the different teams and then separating the cities or teams into different Workspaces. After that is set up to work the way needed, I'd recommend exploring WorkApps as a possible enhancement to the structure.

Which Smartsheet plan do you have?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• tsengdad
    Options

Thanks for your reply. The Property Manager that I just hired introduce me to Smartsheet. I have been using Trello for some time. Therefore since this manager will be the dominant manager, I will like to switch from Trello to Smartsheet without typing in every entry for my other teams.

I have several managers that are not connected, and will like to introduce Smartsheet to them. Per your recommendation, looked like I should set up Workspaces for eg. Seattle, Hong Kong etc. then with the properties under each of the workspaces.

The current manager now have set up in Sheets. I can move these sheets to the Workspaces that I have setup? ?

When in Trello, I have the locations set up in Workspaces and the properties under Boards. I guess Boards is similar to Sheets in Smartsheet.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@tsengdad

Happy to help!

Depending on your structure in Trello, we could migrate the information over to Smartsheet.

Yes, you can move the sheets to the Workspaces.

Yes, depending on your structure, boards can be similar to sheets.

I'd be happy to connect and discuss the best structure/solution.

Feel free to reach out at andree@workbold.com, and we'll take it from there.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• tsengdad
    Options

I found the button and have completed the importing of my lists to Smartsheet from Trello. It was so simple, all the information transfered with some formatting that needed to be changed but that's minor.

I looked up how to move the smartsheets to workspaces, but cannot find the move button. Where is it, and what does it look like? I needed to move the sheets to group them to the different Cities work teams.

• tsengdad
    Options

I am on the free plan right now and have days to figure out if I want to keep this going on Smartsheet. So far, I like what I am seeing on the app.

You mentioned Groups and Workspaces. Is that two things? and What is Workapps. For my situation, do I need to go to Workapps?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@tsengdad

Workspaces and Groups are two different things. (see below)

WorkApps is an excellent solution for presenting specific data that the user should see. It also has an access system outside of the native Smartsheet. (see below)

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• RobbieRe
    RobbieRe
    edited 04/04/24
    Options

We are ceating template sets for our various teams to download from our internal server - and trying to decide when it would be best to use Workspaces or WorkApps. Sometimes we need to group templates together like a milestone creation template and a project plan template; and we would like to include associated Dashboards and reports like you would see in the Project Planning templates Smartsheet provides.

Which is better for this situation considering we want to make it easier for our teams to access (dowwnload) and start using these templates right away?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @RobbieRe

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd recommend a folder or workspace because WorkApps can't be copied easily.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!