Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Contact List Cell-Linking?

Laura
Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Does anyone have a work around for cell-linking a contact list column that is used to calculate Resource Management and Conditional Formatting without creating another column?

Issue - Person assigned to Task A needs to automatically be assigned to Task Z.  

Comments

• Gwyneth C
    Gwyneth C ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Laura, 

I'm not totally following the question/scenario—guessing that this isn't as simple as linking the Assigned To cell in the row for Task Z to the one in Task A. Could you elaborate or include a picture?

• Laura
    Laura ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes! I've attached a screenshot of the properties included on the column.

I want to cell link the "Assigned To" Column, Row 129 and "Assigned To" Column, Row 50 so that when a contact is selected from the contact list on row 129, it'll automatically link to add that contact to the same column in Row 50. 

Can I not link row to row in a Contact List column? 

I know that I can link a contact list column to a text column, but that does not help me solve this obstacle. 

assignedto.png

• Hi Laura—

There currently isn't a way to cell link or create a formula in a Contact List column. The reason for this being that Contact List columns are used for other features (resource management as one example) and adding a formula to the column would interfere with the stability of those features.

When you have a moment, submit your feedback directly to our Product team with the Product Enhancement Request form under Quick links on the right of the community site.

• I was looking for the same solution. On a project a 'Contact' can have multiple tasks throughout, you do not want to have to fill in each one with the same person....the solution, link all the other tasks to the original assignment of the contact.

There are many different threads with different names, looking for the same solution of linking 'Assigned To' to multiple cells.

I believe there is enough interest in this subject to find a real solution, not a workaround.

• DKLE
    DKLE ✭✭

Hello,

is there any progress on that question?

I would like to use the first line of a sheet to capture the most important information from the entire sheet. For example, the Project Assistant should also be listed.

Scenario 1: If I format the new column "Assist" as text, I can work with "=" and link the information. Unfortunately, I can't build a report here where I can display all projects (as owner or assistant) of a person. I need the "What" in the "ReportGenarator" for other things.

Scenario 2: If I format the new column "Assist" as "Contact", I can't work with "=" and not link it. So the contacts from one contact list are not automatically transferred to another contact list and I cannot build a report.

Any ideas? blush

This discussion has been closed.