Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

HYPERLINK Function

Options

Hi @Genevieve P.@Paul Newcome,

Cc: @Art Schneiderheinze@AJW@Andrée Starå

Are we any closer to getting a HYPERLINK() function in Smartsheet?

Something with a familiar syntax such as...

= HYPERLINK( Link_URL, [Display_Label] )

I know this has been discussed on many old threads, but I have been able to calculate a formula based on Sheet column data values to calculate a clickable URL – just not a one with a neat Display Label however! I use:

= "https://domain_name.sharepoint.com/library/" + [Folder Name]@row

It will display the full https:... text, but at least it is clickable.

If the URL root is the same for all items in the sheet, then I create a Sheet Summary field called "SharePointURL" (or "FolderURL", or something like that) and change the column formula to be...

= SharePointURL# + [Folder Name]@row

113 votes

On Radar · Last Updated

While this change is not part of our current plan, we appreciate you sharing this idea. Please keep commenting on this or other ideation posts that interest you – your feedback plays a big role in shaping our decisions for the future.

Comments

• AJW
    AJW ✭✭
    Options

Nicely done, Adrian. And thank you!

• Susan L.
    Susan L. ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm also hoping for a solution that will allow a clickable URL similar to an "input mask" in Access. Including the actual URL is...fine....except when it's particularly long or the data are shared with stakeholders who may not be familiar with what those URL's mean.

• isa.ohara
    isa.ohara ✭✭✭
    Options

I would also like a function to be able to retrieve the Hyperlink only data from a Hyperlink that has friendly text...

• Adrian Mandile CHESS
    Adrian Mandile CHESS ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We are long overdue for some updates to the intrinsic Functions within Smartsheet. What about:

=TEXT() for some custom formatting? Or else just put custom number formatting in the toolbar icon.

=INDIRECT() for smarter cross-sheet or intra-sheet cell referencing?

How about a =JOIN() function that allowed for selected/non-contiguous cells in the 'range' (so it doesn't break when people inadvertently move columns)?

Surely, these can't be too difficult to add.

• ro.fei
    ro.fei ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It'd be incredibly useful if there was a formula that would allow us to add hyperlinks dynamically. For instance, something like HYPERLINK("Text to display here", "www. link goes here .com") would allow so much versatility. We could dynamically add hyperlinks as needed using formulas, we could add hyperlinks to cell-linked cells, and so on.

• Frank Falco
    Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/09/23
    Options

I agree with all the comments in this thread.

Please add this HYPERLINK function asap. It is not a good user experience.

@Genevieve P. It would be great to get this implemented soon.

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Matt Trala
    Options

Having to manually update every row with a hyperlink, just to get the mask function, is not ideal. Consider adding it as an automation option as well, please. In my case, I fill out the drop-down and then it would ideally turn into a hyperlink based on what was entered.

For now I've been filtering for that drop-down option and having to copy/paste an already hyperlinked cell amongst the results.

• BethWork
    BethWork ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I also vote to have this functionality ASAP. Having the option to hyperlink in a formula without having to do some crazy work around would be very useful.

• jlrossi08
    Options

Helping upvote this as well. Having the hyperlink formula capability would be excellent.

• erikgwilliams
    Options

I agree that not having the ability to Hyperlink is a serious corporate miss. Please get on board smartsheet.

• shs06
    Options

I agree with the comments above, it would be very useful. Thank you.