Can a Dynamic View be shared with more than 20 contacts (max number of contacts/column)?)?

Options
User251
User251 ✭✭
edited 09/08/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi

I noticed that a contacts column does not accept more than 20 contacts. Does this mean that only a maximum of 20 contacts can view a Dynamic View? I need to give access to more than 20 people per view. How can I do that?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @User251

You can Share a View to a domain, a Group, or specific individuals. Then what those individuals see is based on how you've configured the View.

To clarify, there can only be 20 contacts in one cell, however you could have many more contacts in the column. If you restrict the view by that Contact column, it means that whoever is looking at the View will only see the rows where their own Contact is selected.

So let's say you have 5 rows in your sheet: each row could have 20 different people associated with it. This means you'd want to share the view to 100 contacts, but each of them would only see one row when they log in... the row their contact is assigned to. Does that make sense?

Cheers, Genevieve

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @User251

I hope you're well and safe!

No, you can share it with unlimited people.

Have a look at this helpful article.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• User251
    User251 ✭✭
    edited 09/08/22
    Options

Thank you, @Andrée Starå , for your reply. I am using a contact list column in a report to allow access to the Dynamic View. However, there is a limit to the number of contacts per column. Even if I share the view with more than 20 people, they won't see anything if their name does not appear in the contacts column. My understanding is that even if I set the view "by current user," they won't be able to see anything if their name does not appear in the contact list .. do I misunderstand the concept of sharing vs. viewing?

IOW, what is the difference between the first page in settings where we select the view by contact column or current user and the last page where we select the contacts or groups with whom a view can be shared?

I remember reading a post about dynamic view sharing where you and @Genevieve P. answered a similar question but can't find it in the forum.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @User251

You can Share a View to a domain, a Group, or specific individuals. Then what those individuals see is based on how you've configured the View.

To clarify, there can only be 20 contacts in one cell, however you could have many more contacts in the column. If you restrict the view by that Contact column, it means that whoever is looking at the View will only see the rows where their own Contact is selected.

So let's say you have 5 rows in your sheet: each row could have 20 different people associated with it. This means you'd want to share the view to 100 contacts, but each of them would only see one row when they log in... the row their contact is assigned to. Does that make sense?

Cheers, Genevieve

• User251
    User251 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you @Genevieve P. for the explanation. That was very helpful.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@User251

Happy to help!

I saw that Genevieve had answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best,

Andrée

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.