Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Eliminate auto-numbering from child rows

Options
Loann McGee
Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Good afternoon,

We are trying to create parent/child rows where only the parents has an auto-number, not the child. Is this possible? 

Perhaps we just need to use a formatting option instead of the column type as an auto-number.

Blessings,

Loann

Comments

• Data Solution Consultant
    edited 07/01/15
    Options

Hi Loann

Is it possible to describe your question with related data.

It will help me provide potential solution.

Thanks

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For our clients, we will create a parent row with their basic info. Subsequent contact with them will be put in a child row, as we want to see, at a glance, how often we have been in touch with them.

The auto-numbering column type is creating a number for each row, whether it is a parent or child. We only want the parent row to have an auto-number, as that becomes their account/case number.

Does that help clarify?
    Blessings,

Loann

• Hi Loann,

Yes - It helped.

I will create prototype for it and get back to you.

Thanks

• Data Solution Consultant
    edited 03/04/16
    Options

Hi Loann,

I am attaching multiple screenshots .

Please let me know if it represents your question.

There are two clients - Microsoft and Intel.

There are log records(a total of two) while dealing with Microsoft for renewal of license.

Client e.g. Microsoft shows that there are two child-log-records.

When more information about Microsoft is displayed at that time it would also show its two child records.

Client=Intel does not have child records - so its number of log records is zero.

When I attach multiple images in one comment then it does not work properly(it creates duplicate screenshots).

I will attach one screenshot per comment.

Thanks

Clients_Loann.png

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It isnt possible to add auto-numbers only to parent rows. Depending on how many parent rows you have, could you just manually type in the number for each row?

• John Sauber
    John Sauber ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Make a new checkbox column called "isParent?" and make the formula as shown below (this is for row 1, and I'm assuming you have a column named "column":

=if(count(children(column1))>0, 1, 0)

Make a new text column called "newSystemID" and populate it with (assuming:your auto-number column is called  autoNumber

=if(isParent?1=1, autoNum1, "")

Of course, you could combine these two columns into one if you wanted to do so.

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Data Solutions - yes, that seems to capture what we would have on this end. A client, and then multiple entries - or only the one.

The users are brand new, and I'm not sure of their level of knowledge for being able to do formulas easily.

They are in a different dept and I don't work directly with them, though I have helped them at least get started. ;-)

Blessings,

Loann

This discussion has been closed.