Delete vs archive unwanted projects in Control Center, which is better?

I have automations turned on in Control Center and, at times, multiple projects are created by users because they don't see their new workspace right away. Other times, users are creating "test" projects that are hogging resources. Admins are currently going into Control Center to delete the unwanted projects so they are not showing in our rolled up dynamic reporting.

We are archiving viable projects that have been completed, these are unwanted project toolkits that are not being maintained or used.

Looking for opinions, is it better to delete projects in Control Center and completely remove the workspaces that go along with them OR should we just archive them to get them out of the reporting? We have multi-tier with over 2500 active projects (and quite a bit of trash in there). Sometimes to delete a tier 1, we have multiple tier 2 projects associated.

What is the best practice here?

Jenn Hilber

Smartsheet Overachievers Alumni

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jennhilber/

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I always suggest archiving completed projects and deleting the duplicates/tests especially if you are wanting to maintain any type of historical or comparison reporting (month over month, year over year, etc.).

If you are not maintaining any historical or comparison reporting, then archiving certainly takes less time than trying to go through deleting everything. The challenge there comes if/when you need to look back on a completed project and have a bunch of the duplicates/tests to sift through.

My suggestion is to only keep what you actually need based on internal policies and procedures, audit requirements, etc.. If you don't need it and there is nothing saying that you have to keep it then it is just clutter.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I always suggest archiving completed projects and deleting the duplicates/tests especially if you are wanting to maintain any type of historical or comparison reporting (month over month, year over year, etc.).

If you are not maintaining any historical or comparison reporting, then archiving certainly takes less time than trying to go through deleting everything. The challenge there comes if/when you need to look back on a completed project and have a bunch of the duplicates/tests to sift through.

My suggestion is to only keep what you actually need based on internal policies and procedures, audit requirements, etc.. If you don't need it and there is nothing saying that you have to keep it then it is just clutter.