Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Add 'sort order' to Filter Views

Options
JPJPJP
JPJPJP ✭✭✭✭

I love the Filter Views feature in Smartsheet, but it would be really useful to include Sorting options in the Filter View dialog as well. Some of my filter views require sorting by different columns, and currently it's a bit annoying have to manual sort each time I change a view.

Tags:
130 votes

On Roadmap · Last Updated

We agree this would be a really valuable capability. While we don't have a timeframe we can communicate right now, we can say that we are working on supporting sorting while filtered and also the ability to save that state for quick access and sharing.

Comments

• AnneV
    AnneV ✭✭✭
    Options

This, or the ability to sort by selection, or the children under a parent row, would be very helpful.

• Courtney S.
    Courtney S. ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please add sorting to sheet filters. It would be more like the "filter view" options in google sheets and M365 sheets, and helps solve the related issue of no way to set up a default sort or automated sort for sheets.

Especially with the way that sheet filters are used for Dynamic View, adding a sort order to a sheet filter would make Dynamic View more useful & easier to implement. Right now, using a sheet as a Dynamic View source is great for using the sheet filters, so a lot of views can be built from the same source sheet, but all users are stuck with the sheet's sort order, rather than a sort order that makes sense for their view. Using a report as a Dynamic View source lets us set a sort order that differs from the sheet, but the lack of saved filters in reports means that we have to create a new report for every single dynamic view, which feels annoyingly redundant. We were hoping to replace reports with dynamic views, not build a new report for every view.

• jan aelbrecht
    jan aelbrecht ✭✭✭✭
    Options

HI, any news on this as we think that this would be a great feature.

We have a dynamic view with 3000 lines and created some filters. all ok but it would be very usefully to have the option to search for a certain lines in the view.

so have the option to a filter per column in the dynamic view.

regards

jan

• Celia Gust
    Celia Gust ✭✭✭
    Options

I would also like to be able to build sorting into filtered views. And, if we can have multiple sort levels that would be all the better!

• DebRichardson
    DebRichardson ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Love this idea....This would be super helpful

Deborah L. Richardson

Executive Assistant

Office of Research Operations

Tel (603) 650-1801 | Deborah.l.richardson@hitchcock.org

Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center

• John Pammant
    Options

I agree with this request.

I would also like to have sort option for Dynamic View.

• GrantKiwi
    Options

This is a big missing feature. Trying to convert Excel users to Smartsheet, then explaining you can't sort a filtered list always feels like a backward step and impacts adoption for us.

• GrantKiwi
    Options

I also would REALLY like a second filter field as well, to reduce the proliferation of saved filters.

• Phillip Stringer
    Options

To have the ability to build filters with the sort function also would be a tremendous help. This is what I miss the most from Excel. I have macros built on my spreadsheets to sort various columns at one time as well as filter multiple columns. To have to go through and sort each column manually before I use my filter is really annoying compared to excel. Please add the sort feature to the filter section...

• drichart
    Options

It would be a great addition to be able to sort the columns alphabetically as needed (ex: sort A-Z, Z-A, High to Low, etc.). Currently, you have to turn off all filters to sort and then get back to where you were, which is a bit cumbersome and time consuming.

Has anyone discovered a faster way to sort columns on a sheet grid?

• RhondaRhocks
    RhondaRhocks ✭✭
    edited 10/18/23
    Options

A longtime Smartsheet user and have always thought this would be an easy fix. It does feel like a moment way back in time and difficult to WOW new users with this much needed feature.

• Jenn Moffett
    Options

this is a big barrier for adoption for us. looking forward to the escalated roadmap timeline.

• SebastianScholle
    Options

This is definitely a feature we will be using, when it's available.

Please will this be prioritised in the Dev timeline.