Split a list into columns?

Kimbh
Kimbh ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have a list in a column which is separated by commas. I need each number in the column to be split into it's on column. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you

Tags:

Answers

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni

Are there always the same number of elements in the list, or is there a maximum value? I'm thinking you would need to add something like this in each of your columns:

Column 1

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Primary Column]@row)), LEFT([Primary Column]@row, FIND(",", [Primary Column]@row) - 1))

*This might look complicated, but it reads "If the Primary Column at this row is not blank, then take all the characters at the beginning of the string until you get to a comma". The result would be A12

Column 2

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Primary Column]@row)), MID([Primary Column]@row, FIND(",", [Primary Column]@row) + 2, 3))

*This one reads "If the Primary Column at this row is not blank, then find the middle section after the first comma, ignore the space, and take the next 3 characters.

This does not provide you with a completed formula, but hopefully provides some ideas about how to get at the data.