Show Critical Tasks In Resource View

Options
stockdam
stockdam
edited 10/26/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

This question is about the schedule view in the Resource addon; I'm using it to show resources assigned to tasks on different projects.(https://rm.smartsheet.com/plan)

I'm using this to show the resources assigned across different Projects and want to show which tasks are on the critical path of any of the projects. Ideally I would like the tasks to show as a different colour. Currently every Task is shown as Scheduled (Blue) and I can change them manually but I want them to change automatically if a Task becomes critical (Float = 0).

This would make it easier to decide what to do when Resources are over-scheduled; I would simply delay any tasks that are not critical (if possible).

Best Answer

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @stockdam,

Since this isn't part of the current functionality, I'd strongly encourage you to raise the feedback Form above if you haven't done already. For the time being, it looks like switching the views as you are currently doing, would be the better way to accomplish what you intend, although I understand this can be cumbersome.

Cheers!

Julio

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Options

Hi @stockdam,

At the moment there isn't a way to set a "critical path" in Resource Management that would automatically mark assignments which are part of this for visibility and prioritization. When you have a moment, please let our Product team know about your feedback by filling in this form, here. Thank you!

A manual alternative that I can think of that could help you with this task could be to add Project tags to highlight Projects with a higher priority. You may then even filter out the Schedule using these tags for more visibility on the Projects with higher or fewer priority but you'd need to switch between the Project and People views in the Schedule to see how Projects and People are allocated.

I hope that this can be of help.

Cheers!

Julio

• stockdam
    Options

Thanks Julio, I don't really want to keep switching between two views (which is what I was doing). The critical path in each project is dynamic and may change as time passes.

If say, Person A, is over-allocated, then I can see this in the resource view but then I need to go back to each project to to see which, if any, of the tasks is on the critical path of a project.

It would be nice to see which of Person A's tasks are affecting the critical path of any project as these are tasks that cannot be delayed without affecting the project. If Person A has two overlapping tasks and one is critical and one isn't then I would delay the one that isn't critical (or maybe allocate it to a person who can only work on it part-time).

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @stockdam,

Since this isn't part of the current functionality, I'd strongly encourage you to raise the feedback Form above if you haven't done already. For the time being, it looks like switching the views as you are currently doing, would be the better way to accomplish what you intend, although I understand this can be cumbersome.

Cheers!

Julio