How can I get form submitter name or even better person from users directory?

JanSte
JanSte ✭✭
edited 11/07/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to do something very similar which is shown on the animated gif on the Smartsheet home page.

Table of requests where you can see the request title and also the requestor, which is in the animated gif represented as full person name with small icon.

The animated sequence is then also showing the form, where you have exactly these two fields request title and requestor name.

The automatic created by is providing to me only the email and in the form requestor name is just text string. So, to have the real requestor (which is person from the user directory) I must have some sort of lookup table which will work based on the user email (created by). But I'm still missing the magic, how to select the user from the directory?

Any hints?

This seems to me like very useful functionality of the Smartsheet, (even the animated gif is promoting it) but it seems like this is not working out-of-the-box.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Jan

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Christian G.
    Christian G. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

In the form option, you can request to have a Smartsheet login to access the form. By doing so, the column "Created By" will have the requestor contact.

• JanSte
    JanSte ✭✭

Hi Christian,

thanks for the response. Yes, this is what I know. However, you will only get the email address not the Person with small icon/avatar. In my case, the login emails are sometimes a bit cryptic - jsam@xxx.com or jsum@xxx.com. It would be visually much better to get their full names to reduce any misunderstandings.

One solution how to solve this is to use VLOOKUP table where I can use the email address as key into the table and get the user real name. Will work, but it is not easy if you are dealing with 100+ emails :(

So I just wonder, if there is not any other more easy way, how to get not just the email. As you can see from the screenshots, it is something what is even "Advertised" 😀

Maybe Smartsheet is planning some new functionality, which will return in the Created by column the person from the contact list?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @JanSte

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you add the users as contacts in Smartsheet? That would solve it.

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• JanSte
    JanSte ✭✭

Hi Andree,

thanks for the tip. I just didn't know, that I have to add all the people to the contact list.

Now all works fine.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JanSte

Excellent!

Happy to help!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.