Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Enable Comment Permission Level in Workapps

Options
Marc Shecter
Marc Shecter ✭✭✭✭✭

Please provide a permission option in Workapps that enables a user to Comment on a sheet without being able to edit the sheet.

In 2021, Smartsheet released the ability for Workapps users to comment. However, since there is no view + comment level of permission in Workapps, a user needs to have Edit permissions in WorkApps to leave a comment.

I use the comment permission level of sheets a lot where I don't want people to edit, but do want to elicit their opinions on the sheet's content. I can't fulfill this use case with Workapps since it only has View, Edit, and Hide permission levels.

For reference, here is a capture from the Workapps help in Smartsheet. Note the highlight which says the, "Role permissions [in Workapps] are independent of the collaborator's permissions on the source item in Smartsheet." I interpret that to mean, that even if I set the source sheet permission to "Comment," I have to set the Workapps permission on the sheet to Edit to enable the users to leave comments on the source sheet. But at the same time, this will enable the user to Edit the source sheet. That is not okay in many situations.

Thanks,

Marc

15 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Neil Egsgard
    Neil Egsgard ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Great idea. Please make this happen. So far the only work around to allow commenting and show data from unlocked columns is to great a copy of the unlocked column and lock it. This is a waste of resources.

• Sean Mc
    Options

+159. We really can't use WorkApps without this -- too many of our potential users have never heard of Smartsheet, it makes no sense to them to shell out $60-$700/yr to make a few comments, and even if they did we don't want to give them Editor status.

• Leonardo Wu
    Options

We really need this to help us track feedback by stakeholders and sponsors who shouldn't edit certain sheets (budget, planning, etc) but definitely should be heard in the context of these sheets.