I'm getting duplicate project IDs after copying rows from one sheet to another

Jake Wolfe
Jake Wolfe ✭✭
edited 11/28/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I copied rows from an old sheet to a new sheet in bulk. After doing this, I began adding new rows to the new sheet via a new intake form for that sheet. the first new entry I put in gave me a project ID that was identical to an entry that I copied over from the old sheet. How do I prevent this, as I can't have duplicate project IDs and I can't change the old IDs?

To clarify more, this Project ID column is an auto-number column and it is NOT my primary column. So, maybe I'm just wondering how to get auto-number IDs that are not duplicate of existing ones?

Best Answer

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/28/22 Answer ✓

Hi @Jake Wolfe,

To prevent this you would need to use a different auto numbering approach.

If your numbering system for one sheet starts with 1000, then your numbering sheet on the other sheet needs to start somewhere else so to avoid the type of conflict that you're having. Or use different prefix or suffix on your auto number. Anything that will make the values between the two grids unique from one another.

Say your Auto numbering starts with number 1000. The next line is going to be 1001, then 1002, and so on. If you copy 10 lines over that already have a value in that column then no number is assigned and the next number to be assigned is still 1003.

You can go in at any time and update your auto numbering. Say the next number to be assigned is 1003, but you change the number to start with for that column to 2000, then the next number will be 2000 and the counter will resume from that point. This approach will help you recover your files without having to rebuild them.

You can also remove your auto numbering column, and then re-add it back in. That will cause everything to be assigned new numbers.

Hope this helps!

BRgds,

-Ray

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/28/22 Answer ✓

Hi @Jake Wolfe,

To prevent this you would need to use a different auto numbering approach.

If your numbering system for one sheet starts with 1000, then your numbering sheet on the other sheet needs to start somewhere else so to avoid the type of conflict that you're having. Or use different prefix or suffix on your auto number. Anything that will make the values between the two grids unique from one another.

Say your Auto numbering starts with number 1000. The next line is going to be 1001, then 1002, and so on. If you copy 10 lines over that already have a value in that column then no number is assigned and the next number to be assigned is still 1003.

You can go in at any time and update your auto numbering. Say the next number to be assigned is 1003, but you change the number to start with for that column to 2000, then the next number will be 2000 and the counter will resume from that point. This approach will help you recover your files without having to rebuild them.

You can also remove your auto numbering column, and then re-add it back in. That will cause everything to be assigned new numbers.

Hope this helps!

BRgds,

-Ray

• Donovan
    Donovan ✭✭✭

hi, having the same problem, copy row automation result in duplicate auto numbers, and with other formulas relying on these for data sequencing it causes issues - i tried this solution of using different numbering systems on each sheet, but it doesn't seem to work, the original value is copied to the new sheets. help appreciated