Linking contacts from sheet A to sheet B

Options

I am trying to connect contacts from Sheet A to a workflow automated message from a form in Sheet B. Is something like this possible?

Sheet A is a database of people listing names, skills, locations, emails, etc. Sheet B is fed by a form, I would like new rows to trigger a workflow to send an automatic message to a subset of the people in Sheet A based on the criteria that are chosen in the form. How can I connect the contacts from Sheet A to sheet B? Is there an alternative workaround for this? It seems that I can only choose contacts for the Sheet B workflow from Sheet B, but it doesn't make sense to co-mingle the people data with the message request data onto a single sheet.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @LizTo

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, you can "connect" them by using cross-sheet formulas and have them trigger a time-based workflow.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• LizTo
    LizTo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Andrée Starå , thank you for the response!

I think I understand. Are you suggesting adding another column to Sheet B, that would have a cross-sheet formula importing the relevant contacts from Sheet A?

Which formula is the best to use in this case, COLLECT?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!