Where is the best place to find help with Power Automate Integration

I happen to be the power automate guru for my team, which isn't saying much.

Problem I'm trying to solve: when a cell updates (based on certain target columns), extract that info to a SharePoint list (or some other repository).

Why? We have several different project tracking systems and want to consolidate info into one location. SharePoint is the repository already in use.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Answers

• Thomas Bostwick
    Thomas Bostwick ✭✭✭✭

I have done something similar in the past. Power automate does not do a good job when the trigger is when a cell changes. Here is the workflow I created:

1. When a cell changes (Smartsheet Workflow based on conditions)
    2. Copy to new sheet
    3. When a new row is added (Power Automate)
    4. Parse JSON
    5. Compose (For each identifier and content)
    6. Update Sharepoint or other database based on the above conditions
  • I will give that a try...

Thanks...

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭

Another approach is to use Smartsheet's email alerts. The email is the Flow's trigger. This does not require a connection to Smartsheet. (My flows that require Smartsheet connectors have encountered "Bad Gateway" errors several times.)

Using Smartsheet placeholders, ensure that the email body contains the data fields you need. You'll have to parse for them, but this method avoids having to create and maintain a separate Smartsheet for this purpose. I have implemented both approaches--copy to a new sheet vs send an alert.

The Smartsheet email alert approach is more involved to set up in Flow, but it's a set-it-and-forget-it implementation. Whereas, copying to a new Smartsheet requires that I monitor and periodically delete old rows from the sheets into which they were copied. (I use Outlook's retention policies to manage/delete the emails from Smartsheet.)