Can I have just one cell automatically copy over from 1 sheet to others when a new row is added

Options

I know there is a workflow for copy row if row is added or changed. I don't want that, since it will copy all of the columns.

I have 1 Master List of Names. The other sheets are specific trainings and prerequisites. I will have columns on the master list that don't need to be on the other sheets, and vice versa. I figure I can pull the first & last name, email address, and title all from the Master list to the training sheets with an Index & Match formula based off the Primary column, which will be the UserID, which is the cell I want to automatically copy to the Training sheets. Is there a way to automatically add/copy a single cell to a separate sheet without needing an Index/Match formula first?

I just want to have new people show up on the training sheets if I add them to the Master List of Names without having to C/P them there manually. Any ideas?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Di Mueller

I hope you're well and safe!

• You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.
    • Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

To connect them row by row, you'd use an Autonumber Column in the Source sheet and add a so-called helper column to manually add the row id on as many rows as you think you need in the Destination sheet.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Di Mueller
    Options

I'm not quite sure how the VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH cross-sheet formula would work, since I assume something needs to exist first for it to MATCH to. Or is there a Column formula that can be written that is something along the line of "make sure the first column on training sheet matches the first column on the names sheet", and would then update in the training sheet if a new name is added to the names sheet?

It's easy enough to pull the information I need over once there is something for it to MATCH against, like the UserID or email, but getting a new User ID to copy without having anything to reference it against seems like MATCH couldn't work with it?

• ainsleebarnes
    Options

Hi Di - did you ever find a solution? I have the same question!

Thanks!

• Di Mueller
    Options

@ainsleebarnes I ended up re-doing the sheets, having all the information on the master and then created a few different reports to check on the specific trainings, dates, and prerequisites for each person. It was a lot quicker/easier. Plus, it kept everything updated and one source of truth. Previously, I'd had to update all 3 sheets manually and it just was not great record keeping on my part.

• Mark_Gibbons_1
    Options

@Di Mueller & @ainsleebarnes

I have the same issue and have the following solution which I've just tested.

You have the Master sheet "Sheet A" and your destination sheet "Sheet B", you only want certain cells to be copied over, the way to achieve this is to make use of a dummy sheet "Sheet C".

Set up criteria on Sheet A to copy over relevant rows to Sheet C upon criteria trigger (using copy row function)

On sheet C add column formulas to all the columns you don't want as follows: ="" to remove all the data you don't want.

Then trigger a workflow on Sheet C to move all rows anytime there is a change (so that it systematically moves the data each time data comes in) back into Sheet B, this will still add the columns you don't need at the end of Sheet B but there will be no data in them and you can just hide those blank column and this will allow you to copy over relevant cell values to destination sheet via a workflow.

The downside of course is that you are adding unnecessary columns to your destination sheet, but I take comfort in the fact there is no data on these columns and can hide them, if you need more info, feel free to ask.

Kind regards,

Mark