Date & Timestamp a specific cell change

Options

Hello,

I am very new to Smartsheet and I am working on a project tracking sheet. We have the following statuses in a cell: Unassigned; In Progress; Completed; Cancelled; On Hold

When a request is submitted this automatically triggers a 'Created Date' column that logs the date/time of creation. I would like this to be duplicated to two other columns I have 'Modified Date' and 'Completed Date'.

When the status in a cell changes to In Progress or On Hold, I would like the 'Modified Date' cell on that row to log the date and time.

When the status in a cell changes to Completed or Cancelled, I would like the 'Completed Date' cell on that row to log the date and time.

Could you offer step by step instruction or point me to a video that shows how to accomplish this, if possible.

Thank you so much for your help and sorry if I've explained poorly.

Best Answer

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/11/23 Answer ✓
    Options

@MBMaddox

Hi, here is another approach.

Let's say that your sheet is called My Sheet. Ensure that this sheet has the system column "Modified Date". In this sheet:

1) Create a Text/Number column named "Timestamp - Status In-Progress or On-Hold" (or something more preferrable).

2) Create a Text/Number column named "Completed Date".

3) Create a Text/Number column named "Last Status" (helper column)*.

4) Create a Text/Number column named "OK to Route?" (helper column) and place the column formula =IF([Last Status]@row = Status@row, 0, 1)

5) Create a new sheet that has only the "Primary Column". Let's name this sheet My Sheet - Record Dates (or something more preferrable).

6) Copy one row from "My Sheet" to "My Sheet - Record Dates". (Do this by left-clicking on the row number and select "Copy to Another Sheet..." from the options.)

7) Create a workflow automation configured as follows:

Trigger: When rows are changed...When Status changes to Any Value

Condition: When OK to Route? is equal to 1.

Action: Move rows...Move to "My Sheet - Record Date"

Open the sheet My Sheet - Record Dates.

8) In the column "Timestamp - Status Changed to In-Progress or On-Hold", create the column formula = IF( OR(Status@row="In Progress", Status@row="On HOld"), [Modified Date]@row+"", "")

9) In the column "Completed Date" create the column formula = IF( OR(Status@row="Completed", Status@row="Canceled"), [Modified Date]@row+"", "")

10) In the column "Last Status" create the column formula =Status@row

11) Create a workflow automation configured as follows:

Trigger: When rows are added or changed...When Primary Column changes to to Any Value

Conditions: Where "Timestamp - Status In-Progress or On-Hold" is not blank OR where "Completed Date" is not blank.

Action: Move rows...Move to "My Sheet"

Done!

Here's how this works.

At the time the row is created in My Sheet, Last Status is blank and OK to Route is 1.

When Status is changed and saved, Modified Date is recorded and automation moves the row into My Sheet - Record Date.

Depending on what Status is equal to, the Modified Date will be recorded in Timestamp - ... or Completed Date. The formula in Last Status sets the value equal to whatever was recorded in Status. Because the trigger was set to "When rows are added or changed" automation moves the recently added row back to My Sheet.

Now back in My Sheet, Status and Last Status are the same so OK to Route? is 0 (or False). This fails the condition for automation to move the row until someone changes the value in Status.

*The helper columns prevent an infinite loop from occurring when automation moves a row back from "My Sheet - Record Date".

Answers

• Hollie Green
    Hollie Green ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried a sheet automation for record a date there is a template in the automation.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @MBMaddox

I hope you're well and safe!

Please have a look at my post below with a method I developed.

More info: 

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• MBMaddox
    Options

@Andrée Starå thank you very much for your post. I apologize, I'm still quite new to this, so I'm not familiar with "copy-row automation and a VLOOKUP or combination of INDEX/MATCH". Do you happen to know of a help video or step by step guide that I could reference? Thank you so much!

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/11/23 Answer ✓
    Options

@MBMaddox

Hi, here is another approach.

Let's say that your sheet is called My Sheet. Ensure that this sheet has the system column "Modified Date". In this sheet:

1) Create a Text/Number column named "Timestamp - Status In-Progress or On-Hold" (or something more preferrable).

2) Create a Text/Number column named "Completed Date".

3) Create a Text/Number column named "Last Status" (helper column)*.

4) Create a Text/Number column named "OK to Route?" (helper column) and place the column formula =IF([Last Status]@row = Status@row, 0, 1)

5) Create a new sheet that has only the "Primary Column". Let's name this sheet My Sheet - Record Dates (or something more preferrable).

6) Copy one row from "My Sheet" to "My Sheet - Record Dates". (Do this by left-clicking on the row number and select "Copy to Another Sheet..." from the options.)

7) Create a workflow automation configured as follows:

Trigger: When rows are changed...When Status changes to Any Value

Condition: When OK to Route? is equal to 1.

Action: Move rows...Move to "My Sheet - Record Date"

Open the sheet My Sheet - Record Dates.

8) In the column "Timestamp - Status Changed to In-Progress or On-Hold", create the column formula = IF( OR(Status@row="In Progress", Status@row="On HOld"), [Modified Date]@row+"", "")

9) In the column "Completed Date" create the column formula = IF( OR(Status@row="Completed", Status@row="Canceled"), [Modified Date]@row+"", "")

10) In the column "Last Status" create the column formula =Status@row

11) Create a workflow automation configured as follows:

Trigger: When rows are added or changed...When Primary Column changes to to Any Value

Conditions: Where "Timestamp - Status In-Progress or On-Hold" is not blank OR where "Completed Date" is not blank.

Action: Move rows...Move to "My Sheet"

Done!

Here's how this works.

At the time the row is created in My Sheet, Last Status is blank and OK to Route is 1.

When Status is changed and saved, Modified Date is recorded and automation moves the row into My Sheet - Record Date.

Depending on what Status is equal to, the Modified Date will be recorded in Timestamp - ... or Completed Date. The formula in Last Status sets the value equal to whatever was recorded in Status. Because the trigger was set to "When rows are added or changed" automation moves the recently added row back to My Sheet.

Now back in My Sheet, Status and Last Status are the same so OK to Route? is 0 (or False). This fails the condition for automation to move the row until someone changes the value in Status.

*The helper columns prevent an infinite loop from occurring when automation moves a row back from "My Sheet - Record Date".

• MBMaddox
    Options

@Toufong Vang WOW! Thank you so much for your very thorough and helpful answer. You are amazing!

• Ali412
    Ali412 ✭✭
    Options

@Toufong Vang Thank you for the nice workaround!

I noticed that the returned rows are sent to the bottom of the sheet.

Is it possible to return the rows to the same location they were taken from?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Ali412

I hope you're well and safe!

It's not possible with Toufong's excellent method, but you can do it with mine because it collects the value back to the same row.

More info: 

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ali412
    Ali412 ✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå Thanks Andre!

My issue is that I still do not have a unique ID per each row.

However, I realized that I don't really need accurate timestamp that much, so I might just settle for the workflow template of recording the date.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ali412

Happy to help!

You can add an Autonumbering column and have the unique ID you need.

Make sense?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Toufong Vang
    Toufong Vang ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, @Ali412, if you don't already have an auto-number column, then:

1) Sort the sheet in the order that you would like.

2) Create an auto-number column.

3) Sort the sheet on the auto-number column.

You can avoid having to perform the sort each time there is a new row if you use @Andrée Starå's "VLOOKUP/INDEX/MATCH" method.

• Chamudi Withanawasam
    Options

You can create 2 automated workflows:

Completed: Create an automated flow triggered when the cell content of Status changes to Complete or Cancelled and record the date in Complete column

Modified: Flow triggered when the cell content of Status changes to In Progress or On Hold and record the date in Modified column

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!