Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

In Calendar and Card Edit View, Hide Data in Hidden Columns

Options

Currently in Calendar and Card view, all data from all columns is visible when you double click on a line item. It would be great if data in hidden columns was not shown in the Card or Calendar edit view, or if there was a way to select what was visible in the edit view.

20 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• DanielleM
    Options

Currently, you can hide fields in the card view by editing the card settings. This is useful to summarize the contents of the card. However, once you click on the card to edit specific fields, it shows EVERYTHING. I would like to have the ability to hide fields in the editable card view just like we can hide fields in the Grid view.

• dillionbucks
    dillionbucks ✭✭
    edited 01/08/24
    Options

Agreed. This is a pain. Hopefully this can get implemented in the near future

• Travis984
    Options

Currently, when one is in the card view, they can edit the overall view of the card while viewing all of the cards in the sheet. However, when one clicks on a card to open up for editing, all fields (or columns in grid view) are visible and open for editing so long as they are not locked. I am proposing an idea to make that view open to modification so that admins can adjust what is visible to users in the card view, just as they could with the same info in grid view. Then certain fields can be hidden so that the card only shows the info each user needs. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

• ChrisUPC
    ChrisUPC ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree with you. This seems like it should be a fairly simple thing to do. Especially when it's a report and you have already limited the columns in the report. Yet it's been requested for years with no implementation yet. I've seen some cumbersome work arounds like creating another sheet that collects only the data you want to show but that just creates too much work.

• ChrisUPC
    ChrisUPC ✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/08/24
    Options

This idea has been requested for years. It would be super helpful because the card view is a pretty efficient way to view tasks.

• Kory Ballew
    Kory Ballew ✭✭
    edited 06/07/23
    Options

Columns hidden in sheet view should stay hidden when changing to Card View.

• StephanieStepney
    StephanieStepney ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/08/24
    Options
  • Nik Fuentes
    Nik Fuentes ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/08/24
    Options

It should at least be configurable, if not hidden by default.

• Marlei
    Marlei ✭✭✭
    edited 04/08/24
    Options

Agree! We need upvotes for this to be an enhancement!

• Bmorrow
    Bmorrow ✭✭
    edited 12/19/23
    Options

Hello, from reviewing many posts in community section, I am seeing a large benefit to other users if there was functionality to remove specific fields from the Edit Card window.

Currently, all fields are shown, which reduces the applications where Smartsheet would be useful over another platform such as teams, etc.

• Stu Benoff
    Stu Benoff ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Recently learned that when you hide columns on a sheet they are only hidden on the grid and gantt views but they are not hidden on the card and calendar views. This request is to add consistency to the product so that hidden columns work the same across all views. Hidden means hidden across all views.

• Bo Lewis
    Options

Agreed. Please allow us to hide fields that show once the Card is opened. I use a LOT of helper columns in the grid view that cause major confusion to users who I only want to use the Card View.

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would absolutely love this feature. Being able to hide certain columns in the open card view would make review a lot easier for the user, and to me, that's the point of the Card view!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!