What is the best practice for entering and tracking project manager time in Resource Management?

Options
Becky M.
Becky M. ✭✭
edited 01/20/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

In our organization, typically a project manager is not assigned specific tasks but rather does the work of managing the project, leading meetings, etc. We want to track how much time PMs spend on each project; e.g., Project A - 50%, Project B - 20%, etc. What are some best practices for how other companies do this in Resource Management? If I add a percentage and the PM is not in the assigned to column, it adds a row at the end with the % allocation. The non-project task template is not exactly what we have in mind either. Thanks!

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Becky M.

Hopping in here as I see other members haven't chimed in yet - this is a bit of a tricky question as it depends on your goals and what data needs to be collected; you can do this in multiple ways depending on how you are using Resource Manager (for example if you're using the Control Center integration, Smartsheet Panel or just Resource Manager as a standalone tool).

Since Resource Management is a project level time tracking tool, one way to do this would be to create one task from the duration of the project and assign the Project Manager. 

Another option would be to create a team roaster sheet in Smartsheet and connect this sheet with Resource Management.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Becky M.
    Options

Thank you @Genevieve Evans . The goal is to track the PM's % time spent each week on each project (variable), rather than the other way around; i.e., track the % of the project allocated to PM. As a PM I want to be able to add hours spent on each project each week, without having a % of the project allocated to PM.