Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Include option in dashboard widget settings for open in new tab

Options

I'd like there to be a new option in the dashboard widget settings to allow the choice of whether shortcut links are opened in a new tab or the same tab.

This includes Smartsheet items (which currently don't open in new tab).

Tags:
35 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

We love this idea too! We know small things like opening items in a separate tab really matter to the overall experience. If we believe we can make this idea a reality, we'll plan to update the status here.

Comments

• BobMander
    Options

We get requests for this specific feature from our users. It would be great to see it implemented soon. Thank you.

• parulmishra
    parulmishra ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As a workaround you can try using the website option on the Shortcut Widget and Paste the Smartsheet Item link in the Link address. It will always open the smartsheet item in a new tab.

Parul Mishra

• Taylor Mauzy
    Options

Hello!

I just wanted to suggest an improvement to dashboards, specifically. It would be very nice to open up links to other dashboards/sheets/miscellaneous links in new tabs, or to at least have that as an option (ie- right click option).

I have noticed that some things open in new tabs, but it is very tedious to have to open a bookmarked dashboard, and then click that to go to a sheet, and it takes you there on the same tab. It means I have to keep clicking on my dashboard links to get to other sheets, and it takes away from the usefulness of dashboards as a 'one-stop-shop' by not having this feature.

I hope that this can be implemented soon, as this would be a major efficiency improvement! Thank you to all of your dev group for the continuous improvements, and for listening to your customer suggestions!

• Koleen Steiner
    Options

Hi Taylor!

I AGREE!!

A workaround: I started linking them via the quick links feature as a "website," this opens in a new tab, rather than a Smartsheet sheet, which opens in the same tab. The inability to open in new tab from a dashboard link has driven me a bit crazy for a while!!

Thank you for submitting!!

K-

Koleen Steiner

IT PM & Smartsheet Guru, BeiGene, Inc.

• MattS345
    Options

Adding links to sheets, reports, or dashboards is a great function. However, when the link is clicked on, it opens the link in the current tab and this messes up work flow. This could be improved if there was an option to open the link in a new tab instead of replacing the current tab.

• Lauren Dominique
    Lauren Dominique ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Our team’s dashboards are set up as our central hub to access important data and shortcuts. Would be awesome to be able to click into a shortcut and have it open in a new tab so the user is not directed away from the DB. Yes, they could hypothetically just hit the “back” button or re-open the DB, but when you’ve got DBs with as much data on them as we do, the load time is terrible!

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it 💡 Insightful or ❤️ Awesome!