SCC: Help using dependencies in blueprint that can pull date from profile data for Start of project

Options
bburrets
bburrets ✭✭✭
edited 01/23/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello Smartsheet experts. I am am having trouble figuring out how to take profile data (a project start date) and push it into a toolkit Project Schedule that has dependencies enabled.

I've looked everywhere and am not sure this can even be accomplished.

Background:

We are working to build out a standard PPM solution that has a single blueprint leveraging a Metadata to children asset architecture. The project schedule sheet has predetermined phases with expected durations and dependencies laid out.

The goal is to leverage SCC automations to spin-up the toolkits as they're approved. We want to push a "Created" Date from the Intake sheet (Or leverage one in the toolkit itself) to populate the start date column, first tasks on our Project Schedule Sheet.

A few additional details:

• We are not using a summary section at the top of the Schedule Sheet, we are leveraging a Metadata Sheet and linking data back and forth
  • I haven't tried using using the "Add Template specific Profile Data" path in control center and our project schedule doesn't have the right setup (Summary header row, Target Column for "Start Date", etc)

If anyone else has successfully done this, I'd love to hear how we can accomplish this. I'm willing to give the template specific profile data path a shot and put the work in to modify the schedule sheet structure, but before I start that, Wanted to ask.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @bburrets

I hope you're well and safe!

I do it in my Client Solution by using the Summary/Profile Data Section, adding a Start Date Profile Data row, and then referencing it on the first date in the project plan, so the profile data becomes the Predecessor.

Make sense?

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• bburrets
    bburrets ✭✭✭
    Options

Had to come back to provide the solution... I needed to set up a cell link to the start date in the metadata sheet. While a formula isnt allowed in Sheets with dependencies, you can have a cell link.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@bburrets

Excellent!

Glad you got it working!

Please support the Community by marking your post with the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Lori Khoury
    Lori Khoury ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @bburrets

I am running into the same problem and wondering if you could elaborate on adding the profile data with cell links. I have a project plan provisioned by control center. It had dependencies enabled and I want to pull start and end date up into the profile summary section above but realized I can’t use formula. Is there a way I can add that profile data to l already provisioned project project plans ? Do you know if I have to add it through the intake sheet ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

• CB_KK
    Options

Hi @Lori Khoury,

have you been able to find a solution to your issue ?

Best,

Mike