Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Webform names don't match to contact list when inputted on form

13»

Comments

• I would also vote for changes in this functionality. We allow webforms to be used to add new items and hence potentially new contact information. So the idea of having predefined drop-down list isn't going to work if we need to add new entries. Also it's a big list so not a good option. 

The way we do it is to have 2 separate fields one for the "contact name" and one for the "email address". Reminders are sent out to the email address. Ideally I'd like one "field" which holds both bits of data linked together. 

• susan.frenchsmith72191
    edited 12/13/18

Still surprised it is not available.  Since S/S is billed as a resource management tool, this is minimum functionality to have a contact list resolve with the form field.  And if you ever do get around to fixing this bug, make it possible to select a group for the list of contacts.  

• Fortunately, my kid still believes in Santa...but he's outgrown that innocent age when I can convince him that the Smartsheet Product Development Team actually exists, let alone cares about user requests.

• +1  

What else is their left to say?  Asked, no answer, huge gap, forms are useless without this, etc, etc.

• Talmon
    Talmon
    edited 07/14/19

+1 

Four years and still no advancements.

I'm trying to develop a complete quality control approval workflow and this is the missing piece to fully automating the workflow. As of right now, the workflow doesn't recognize the name as contact linked to an email to send out the "update form," or any other approval notification. These workflows happen multiple times a day and to hire someone just to switch the from input name to a user in the account just for the workflow to run defeats the who principle marketed on your by SS for automating workflow processes. If the from is being filled out by a registered user (requiring login into the account at access the form), then the form should be smart enough to auto populate the users in the account when typing the same in the form. I would add all users into the form, but a firm of 500+ with continuous turnover would be yet another manual maintenance. Plus, I would like this sheet to just be in the background and not required anyone to actually open to edit it.

Any insights on this feature?

Thanks! 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

This coming feature might help!

Coming Soon: A New Way to Assign Work

Formulas like =VLOOKUP enable your sheets to automatically return key data based on its association with a unique identifier. Today, formula output cannot be in a contact column, but we plan on supporting this very soon.

What does this mean for you? Teams that field requests in IT, marketing, and other departments will be able to automatically assign incoming requests to the correct person. This will help eliminate the manual process of assigning new work, and get the right people working on the right things more quickly.

For example, if you are a West Coast regional manager for a consulting firm, you can create a sheet for tracking customers. Using a Smartsheet form, prospective customers can fill out their name and address to request a bid.

With the forthcoming capability, you’ll be able to quickly set up a formula in the contact column then, dependent on the submission, look up the state and which regional manager is responsible. The correct person is assigned to that customer, and a notification is generated to let them know they have a new opportunity to work — all without any manual input.

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• not sure how far away 'soon' is. I see this post started in 2015.

Add my vote for: Contact list fields in webforms should be a dropdown and have same functionality as grid view.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Formulas in contact columns. It's released now! laugh

https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/announcing-formula-support-contact-columns

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

• Contact Field with formulas works very well.  

Has the request for a solution to webform Contact Fields not accessing drop-downs of users that have been added to Smartsheet been resolved?

Thanks.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Not sure I follow.

If you add the contacts to the list values in the contact column, they will be available in the form.

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

This discussion has been closed.