Alert Someone > Send to Microsoft Teams | How to not include other rows

heyjay
heyjay ✭✭✭✭✭

When we sent the alert to MS Teams, all rows are being included + the custom message. Is there an option not to include those, just the custom message?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Select only your "Primary" column (could be named "Item Name", etc. - whatever you generally use).

Add your custom message. That ought to do it, right?

Here's an example within Teams for an automation triggered by "If the Status Column changes to any value":

Within Smartsheet, this is the text for the "Custom Message": "{{Primary}}" has been updated to *{{Status}}*.

(Teams "cards" like this use Markdown syntax, so you can utilize things like * and _ to format the text if you'd like. In my example, I italicize the {{Status}} value)

Instead of the "Primary" column, you could also set the value to "A comment", and it'd just look for comments associated with the update:

It's not pretty, but it gets the job done. This is why I made my own "bot" in Teams to push updates to Teams. It looks like this:

My "bot" also replies to one Teams post; the Smartsheet bot creates new posts every time an update occurs and muddies up Teams, in my opinion.

Here's another example:

This is something I cooked up using Microsoft's Power Automate. If you're looking for something like what I've made here (I call it the "Project Newsfeed"), let me know.

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Select only your "Primary" column (could be named "Item Name", etc. - whatever you generally use).

Add your custom message. That ought to do it, right?

Here's an example within Teams for an automation triggered by "If the Status Column changes to any value":

Within Smartsheet, this is the text for the "Custom Message": "{{Primary}}" has been updated to *{{Status}}*.

(Teams "cards" like this use Markdown syntax, so you can utilize things like * and _ to format the text if you'd like. In my example, I italicize the {{Status}} value)

Instead of the "Primary" column, you could also set the value to "A comment", and it'd just look for comments associated with the update:

It's not pretty, but it gets the job done. This is why I made my own "bot" in Teams to push updates to Teams. It looks like this:

My "bot" also replies to one Teams post; the Smartsheet bot creates new posts every time an update occurs and muddies up Teams, in my opinion.

Here's another example:

This is something I cooked up using Microsoft's Power Automate. If you're looking for something like what I've made here (I call it the "Project Newsfeed"), let me know.

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• heyjay
    heyjay ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Brett, just what I was look for!

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear it Jay - but you chose your response here as the accepted answer 😁

Not sure if you can undo that, but no worries. Glad to help!

Love,