Can users modify data in locked rows in Dynamic View?

Options
User251
User251 ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi,

If I lock a row in a sheet, can users modify the data in that row in Dynamic View? I am trying to find a workaround to locking cells as I don't want users to modify certain data in a sheet's columns.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

One way to be sure would be create columns that are formulas with just = to repeat the data from the editable column. Then hide the editable column.

• Gia Thinh
    Gia Thinh ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

With a locked row or locked column, only shared users with Admin right can modify that row or column.

You can set user rights for this purpose.

Gia Thinh Technology Co., LTD - Smartsheet Solution Partner.

• User251
    User251 ✭✭
    Options

Thank you @James Keuning . Your suggestion worked! the cells are read-only in Dynamic view. I also noticed that when a cell is linked from another sheet, it shows up as read-only in Dynamic View.

@Gia Thinh your suggestion works when I am using sheets. However, my issue is with the Dynamic view. I noticed that even when a row is locked in a sheet, it is still editable in Dynamic View....or am I able to edit it because I am the Dynamic View and the sheet's admin?

• Charlene Stacy
    Charlene Stacy ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have the same question as User251, can edits be made to dynamic view when a row is locked in the sheet by anyone other than the admin or owner?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Charlene Stacy

Yes, Dynamic View users can edit rows that are locked in the underlying source sheet. You'll want to configure fields to Edit/Not Edit through the Conditional Logic in the View set-up.

There are certain fields that appear as "Read Only" in the View, see: Why is a field read-only?

Another user came up with a solution for locking certain cells (other than using Conditional Logic) in this Community post, here.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• hmandak
    hmandak ✭✭
    edited 08/09/22
    Options

The ability for more advanced edits/locks would be ideal.

Business Case

We have template project plans that we use and copy down to each project. We want to initiate a best practice with this meaning that the actual project activity itself are not 'editable or removeable', but there may be columns within that row that a user needs the freedom to change, such as a (1) stage, (2) add an owner or list of owners (3) modify a column of details in that same row, or (4) still add a comment.

Creating a report for each project for this to happen is not ideal as it's a ton of additional administrative work and copies of things that are not needed or necessary for this sole purpose.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @hmandak

I hope you're well and safe!

Great idea! That would be a great addition to Smartsheet features.

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thomas Ong
    Options

Chance upon this thread when troubleshooting reported issue that user with editor rights are able to edit cell value through provided Dynamic view :(

Smartsheet doc stated that only Admin and owner has the rights to edit locked sheet rows and columns. Why the rule is not enforced by Dynamic View?