Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Change Formatting in Reports

Options

It would be very convenient to be able to format a report different than the sheet. One purpose of a report is to bring multiple sheets of data together, but often those different sheets have different formatting which can make your report look awful. If you could format your report at the report level, it would solve all sorts of formatting issues.

69 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

That's a great idea! Formatting Reports independent of sheets is something we think would have a lot of value. While it's not in our current plan we are thinking about all the ways we can make Reports even better. If we think we can make this idea a reality we'll update status here.

Comments

• ro.fei
    ro.fei ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/23/23
    Options

Right now we can format sheets & choose to bring over the formatting from there, but that's not enough. Sometimes I want my reports formatted slightly differently than what I have in the sheet(s) it's pulling from. Furthermore, there's currently no way at all to format summary rows in reports, which is infuriating when everything else in the column has no decimals/1 decimal/etc. but the summary row has 5.

• Harvey E
    Harvey E ✭✭✭
    Options

Even on a more simple level where you'd like different views of the same sheet data, eg a Project Plan which might have conditional formats on it highlighting tasks running late, key milestones etc, but you want a cleaner representation of the same data, eg a high level plan (report)

• scottreiter
    scottreiter ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have a report that utilizes the Summary functionality (to give me averages for each column). Due to the lack of formatting, it looks pretty bad. There is no way to control how many decimal places ..or center align the column to match the center aligned content in the columns. This makes the summary data formatting inconsistent and difficult to read. Please add formatting!

• broctawn
    Options

This would be a very useful feature where I work. Please bring this idea to life!

• crodts
    crodts ✭✭
    Options

It would be nice to be able to clear sheet formatting when it is pulled into a report.

It would be even nicer to then be able to create new formatting within the report.

• Jenann
    Jenann ✭✭✭
    Options

This would solve an issue I am having now! I have a lot of data in the Sheet Summary based on formula and want the negative numbers to be RED. Currently no way to do it BUT if I could update on the report it would solve this!!! Love this idea great for many other issues as well. On some sheets I want the data Gray to alert PMs NOT to change. But on reports. Now all gray!

• NickBlocker
    NickBlocker ✭✭✭
    edited 01/16/24
    Options

Please make this enhancement happen. It is so super frustrating that you don’t have full control like you do in Excel. If you are going to compete with the likes of Microsoft who already has a leg up as their software Office 365 is a complete suite which does, in my opinion better the same things Smartsheet can do and a whole lot more, you need to focus on these small enhancements that make the life of the end user so much easier.

Workarounds are ok for a short period of time however; that takes more valuable time from my day and I don’t need to be adding processes that take me longer to complete tasks. This is counter intuitive to being efficient and that is the entire purpose of Smartsheet.

Nick Blocker - Analytics Adventurer

• swilly
    swilly ✭✭
    Options

NEED CONIDITONAL FORMATTING ON REPORTS!!!!

Having to open each source sheet to have the conditional formatting reload is not efficient.

• TheSloppyJoe
    Options

Is there a way to strip the formatting so that it doesn't carry over from the source sheet(s)?

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    Options

@TheSloppyJoe only if the report is on a dashboard.

• TheSloppyJoe
    Options

Thanks for the quick response @Samuel Mueller. Guess I'll have to submit another enhancement request. As much as I love and advocate for Smartsheet, it amazes me how many fundamental/basic features are overlooked.

• Tpugh
    Tpugh ✭✭✭
    edited 03/22/24
    Options

Without this enhancement, dashboards containing Metric data are unsuitable for professional presentations.