OneNote integration in Smartsheet

Craig Moss
Craig Moss ✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Based on a suggestion I read on this board, I am posting a product enhancement request I just submitted for the community to see.

Request

OneNote integration in Smartsheet to easily paste in a link to a OneNote page/paragraph/section/section group in one click, and then designate whether to open in the OneNote desktop version or web app.

Use cases

1. Internal use for projects.  I want to be able to include a link in a task column in a project sheet to a OneNote page (or other destination) for internal projects to improve collaboration so users can easily access them and view/add content.  The link should open desktop OneNote which is in widespread use in our organization.  So far I have found no way to do this.
  2. External use for clients.  We're going to use Smartsheet for project management of new client onboarding to our software.  I want to be able to provide the client with help/information by including a link on every relevant client-responsible task in the project sheet.  Clients will see their responsible tasks in a dashboard.  I'm undecided, but thinking it may be cleanest to use OneNote Online for this as it is also browser-based like Smartsheet, and their access will be view-only.  I have a workaround, but it's 6 steps :(  This is a problem when I'm pasting links into a long list of tasks.

Current workaround

1. Right-click on desired page in page link, and select Copy Link to Page.
  2. Paste to Notepad++
  3. Manually select the first of the two links that were pasted in.
  4. Right-click and select Copy.
  5. In desired cell of Smartsheet task, right click and select Hyperlink.
  6. Paste link into Hyperlink dialog.

References

Comments

• Hi Craig,

What would be the advantage of defaulting to the OneNote web app vs desktop app?

• Craig Moss
    Craig Moss ✭✭✭

Shaine,

We use OneNote internally for team collaboration on projects.  Desktop OneNote is the version that offers all available features while the web app just offers a subset of that functionality, so for serious users that "live" in OneNote, the desktop version is the only option.  We want to add hyperlinks to project tasks that directly open the relevant OneNote sections/pages we have set up for the task in desktop OneNote.  I also mentioned a use case for external use with clients where it is preferable to have the hyperlink open the OneNote web app.  Hope this explanation helps...

• I would like to see a way to pull OneNote Tags into Smartsheet. We use these tags to track action items for project, but currently have to manually update the smartsheet. If there was an option for tags within a OneNote page to interface into a smartsheet page, it would eliminate duplicity and keep us nearly 100% in Smartsheet. 

• Hi Craig,

In your workaround above, are  you copying a page from OneNote and pasting into Smartsheet?  And, when you paste into Notepad, you have 2 ++ signs...what does that mean?  I am trying the workaround, however confused on the workflow direction.  Can you enlighten me?  Thanks.

George

• Craig,

I have found a way to link to the desktop version:

1. copy link to location in desktop app

2. create shortcut(on desktop is easy, though anywhere works) and paste OneNote link there

3. click Attachments box

4. drag and drop newly created Shortcut to here

this creates a direct link to the OneNote location.

• Craig Moss
    Craig Moss ✭✭✭

Ryveted,

Sorry for the delay in getting to this.  Can you clarify the steps you gave above?  Specifically,

-In #2, create a shortcut to what?  Usually you need to select a file or app or something to create a shortcut to.

-In #3, click Attachments box where?  In Smartsheet on a particular task, or ??

Thanks

• It looks like the request I was going to make has already been made. I guess I will add one more affirmative voice for development requests above.

Thanks,

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment to have your vote added

A New Way to Submit Your Feature Requests

To make your Enhancement / Feature Request count, send in the form above because there isn’t a guarantee, it will be registered otherwise.

Original Post: https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/new-way-submit-your-feature-requests

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Wim Nagels
    Wim Nagels ✭✭✭
    edited 10/13/20

This is exactly the issue I also have, is the request already created, and how/were can I vote?

Can't imaging that it would be hard to allow a different type of URL

• Bumping this thread to see if there has been any update to the OneNote integration with Smartsheet. My team is currently in Smartsheet implementation and meeting notes are a glaring gap we need to resolve. Currently, we utilize PWA with a OneNote notebook and we love that aspect of PWA. The hope was we could find a workaround to integrate a OneNote to Smartsheets, or, that Smartsheet would have a comparable meeting note solution. So far, we have not seen one, although we are in Sprint 1 of implementation.

Does anyone have a meeting note solution that works well for them? We are in the habit of taking extensive notes and using OneNote tags on Action Items, Decisions, Important, Critical items, etc.

• I agree! This is something that I am seeing as a gap as well. The only thought right now as a workaround is to create a folder on another drive that has the onenote files on there and create a link to the file on the smartsheet. This way people would be able to access the notes and the OneNote can be synced with the desktop application for the PM to use.

• cbredehoeft
    cbredehoeft ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone found they are able to integrate OneNote to Smartsheet yet? We would like to trigger action items to go into Smartsheet from our OneNotebooks. I see many post but no actual solutions....Going to Engage next week and hope to ask IP.

• dpm1028
    dpm1028 ✭✭

I used the proposed solution successfully. I am able to add a text "Notes" and after editing the dual links in the URL get it to launch the OneNote page in the web. However, after I use this process, the desktop app no longer works. I get the following:

Nothing resolves this except clearing out the "C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Temp" folder. Has anyone found a better solution to launching into a specific page in OneNote?

Thank you