How can I update cell links across all of my projects?

Options

I added Profile Data to all of my projects via Global Updates. They are dates that are subject to change (at least one or more times) & cannot be filled in via formula (right now they are blank & waiting to be filled in as needed). They appear in the Metadata sheets as well as another template sheet--this template sheet is where the dates will be updated by other people working on the projects. The fields in the Metadata sheets are already automatically linking out to the Summary sheet, but I need the fields in the template sheets to link out to their respective Metadata sheets. I.e., when someone updates the date field in the template sheet, I need the Metadata sheet to update as well so the information in the Summary sheet is up to date. How can I do this in Control Center without having to manually link hundreds upon hundreds of cells?

Best Answer

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ro.fei

Thanks for the added detail. I don't think it's possible because its a cross sheet reference from the other sheet to the Metadata sheet. But I'm interested to know what the Pro Desk says.

A couple questions though: 1) Is the other sheet cell linking to the Summary sheet? If yes, is there a reason you need it to be on the Metadata sheet too? Sometimes people want everything on that Metadata sheet but once the reports are generated off the Summary Sheet, the Metadata sheet sort of fades into the background.

Thanks again for the detail, I've spent a lot of time doing what you're doing so I'm excited to see the outcome on this.

Have a great day!

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

Answers

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni
    Options

This is possible if you use cell linking when you add that field to your metadata sheet, we had to do this same thing one time.

However, I would highly suggest reaching out to your Customer Support Manager or scheduling time with Pro Desk support. We consider ourselves to be pretty good with Smartsheet, but a change at that scale just feels more secure when you have help on the line with you when you make that change.

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @ro.fei

@David Tutwiler knows his stuff so I'm definitely following this thread. Please let us know how it goes with the Pro Desk.

In my experience with this topic, if your Template sheet has had a "Summary" section at that the top of the sheet since it was created then you could add Profile Data (via Global Updates) to the Summary section which could link out to the Summary Sheet/Rollup. It wouldn't have to go to the Metadata Sheet first.

If the Summary section at the top doesn't exist and you are linking row level data from you template sheet to your Metadata sheet, then I don't think that's possible without manual intervention. Then again there's lot of small details that affect it.

Please keep us posted.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

• ro.fei
    ro.fei ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Matt Johnson Thanks for your response. I do have a Summary section at the top of all of my sheets, & I'm able to link fields from the Intake Sheet to my Metadata (as well as other sheets) & then from my Metadata to my Summary sheet. However, my issue starts when I want to link fields from some other sheet to my Metadata--I'm able to get the field to appear on the other sheet (& the Metadata sheet & Summary sheet), but I can't get it to link from the other sheet to the Metadata. Hopefully that makes sense. Obviously I can do it manually (which is what I've been doing), but I can't get it to work with Global Updates. I'm really just asking if this is possible via Control Center/Global Updates, or if it has to be done manually. For what its worth, the fields I'm adding (& hoping to link to the Metadata from the other sheet) are not being added to the Intake Sheet--only the Summary Sheet. Let me know if you need additional context/information if I haven't explained well enough here. Thanks!

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ro.fei

Thanks for the added detail. I don't think it's possible because its a cross sheet reference from the other sheet to the Metadata sheet. But I'm interested to know what the Pro Desk says.

A couple questions though: 1) Is the other sheet cell linking to the Summary sheet? If yes, is there a reason you need it to be on the Metadata sheet too? Sometimes people want everything on that Metadata sheet but once the reports are generated off the Summary Sheet, the Metadata sheet sort of fades into the background.

Thanks again for the detail, I've spent a lot of time doing what you're doing so I'm excited to see the outcome on this.

Have a great day!

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology