Can I use control center to add a start date to a project with dependencies?

Options

We use control center to provision new projects. Our work plan template has a predefined project schedule using dependencies. Row 22 (after the navigation and summary rows) is "Manager set schedule", and is automatically assigned to the manager from the project intake sheet. The intent is for the manager to adjust the predefined schedule to meet the actual project conditions. Goal is to have the schedule set up within 1 week of the project being opened. (The rest of the schedule is set out in the future with a 1/1/2050 date... the manager is supposed to set the actual start date, and adjust durations as needed.)

When the project is initially provisioned, I would like for the "Manager set schedule" start date to be populated with the date of creation for the project. My understanding is that you cannot change a date (start or due date) in a project using dependencies by either formula or automation.

Is there a way in the control center blueprint to have it insert 'todays date' at row 22 in the start date column?

Best Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Tim Starkey

Happy to help!

No, I mean the Profile Data (sometimes called Summary Data) that you can have populated automatically at the top section of a sheet when a project is provisioned.

Something like this.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Tim Starkey If you are housing your profile data on a separate sheet, then @Andrée Starå's method will not work. His method will only work if you have that profile data on the Schedule.

Most of my Control Center projects also end up with a separate sheet for the Profile Data as well.

You could potentially set up a single row in the Schedule at the top with the only piece of profile data coming into that section being the start date, but that still means having the section at the top of the Schedule.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is no way to get it done automatically, but you could set up an Update Request automation in the template that would request the manager to fill it in.

You could also set up an alert automation on the intake sheet that will automatically alert the manager as soon as the project is provisioned and use that to instruct them to fill in the date and durations.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Tim Starkey

I hope you're well and safe!

If I understand you correctly, I always do this in my client solutions.

I add the dates to the profile data and then reference it with predecessors.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Andrée Starå

When you say profile data, I assume you mean the separate profile data sheet (we call it metadata)? If so, how does that get referenced in using predecesors? I am only aware of a predecessor link to another row in the same sheet.

Thanks!

Tim

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Paul Newcome

If there isn't another way, then that is the likely approach I will take.

Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Tim Starkey

Happy to help!

No, I mean the Profile Data (sometimes called Summary Data) that you can have populated automatically at the top section of a sheet when a project is provisioned.

Something like this.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Tim Starkey If you are housing your profile data on a separate sheet, then @Andrée Starå's method will not work. His method will only work if you have that profile data on the Schedule.

Most of my Control Center projects also end up with a separate sheet for the Profile Data as well.

You could potentially set up a single row in the Schedule at the top with the only piece of profile data coming into that section being the start date, but that still means having the section at the top of the Schedule.

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks both of you. We do have a summary section directly in the worksheet, but it links to data from a separate profile data sheet.

However, it does appear that although I cannot use formulas in the start date with dependencies, it will let me cell link to the profile data sheet. Will this work? Other parts of this sheet already link to the profile data sheet, and control centers maintains those links when it provisions projects. Will it maintain this link?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Tim Starkey I hadn't tried a direct cell link before. Have you tested to see if the link stays and if the date changes when you change it on the source sheet?

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can confirm that the cell link in the template updates when I change the template metadata sheet. However, I am waiting for a new project to provision with the template updates to see if control center hands off the correct cell link. I will post back.

• Tim Starkey
    Tim Starkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

SUCCESS! Right after I sent that, I saw a new project had already provisioned. Worked like a charm.

Thanks you guys... it sort of ended up being a combo solution.

In the project schedule template, I cell linked to the profile data sheet. It was kind of a hack, and I will come up with a more elegant solution, but I linked it to the 'created' date in the first row of the profile template sheet. I only needed it to set this initial date of when the project provisioned to start the clock.

When it provisioned the new project, it pulled that data.

• Kayla Q
    Kayla Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå and @Paul Newcome I'm chiming in here. I've tried to enable dependencies multiple times in Control Center - both times, Control Center has malfunctioned. I tested, and when I removed the dependency column, Control Center functioned as anticipated. Control center gets very upset when I turn on dependencies. I'll try again, but I haven't had any luck with this.

P.S. My start date is always in my profile data, which pulls directly onto my project sheet.