How do I find the ID of a Custom Field?

Options

I am setting up a Bridge integration to pull a utilisation report from RM. The report i'm building needs to among others include filter on a custom field. In the configuration panel it tells me I need to add the ID of the custom field. Running the workflow with all the rest of the filters works as expected, so the issue is entirely in finding the ID i need to enter.

Reading the documentation it implies that for this I can simply add the name of the custom field (in this case Department), but running the workflow throws an error that the field cannot be found.

I've tried using the List User element, but the JSON i get back makes no mention of the custom fields associated with that user, even though it's set.

Can anyone advise and put me out of the most likely simple step i'm missing here? 🙏

Best Answer

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers
    Answer ✓
    Options

It's not you Mark - looks like there's a bug? I get the same thing after verifying through Postman that I can pull a report using custom fields as a filter. Like you, in the Bridge integration I tried putting both the custom field ID as well as the custom field name, both returned the "not a valid filter type" error.

You could do this via a custom HTTP call in Bridge and avoid the bug here.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

Answers

• Mark Ryan
    Mark Ryan Overachievers
    Options

Just to add to this, I have used Postman to query the /api/v1/custom_fields/ endpoint, this returns the following

Going back into Bridge if I then enter 15145 as the ID of my Custom Field I want to query, with the value set to Global Services, Bridge throws the following error:

So how should I be defining the ID of the custom field? Are there some additional prefixes i should be including on the ID?

• Mark Ryan
    Mark Ryan Overachievers
    Options

For completeness, this is how I have set the report up in Bridge. Filters 1-4 all work as expected, but as soon as include filter 5 as in the screenshot, I get the error shown in my post above.

• Brian_Richardson
    Brian_Richardson Overachievers
    Answer ✓
    Options

It's not you Mark - looks like there's a bug? I get the same thing after verifying through Postman that I can pull a report using custom fields as a filter. Like you, in the Bridge integration I tried putting both the custom field ID as well as the custom field name, both returned the "not a valid filter type" error.

You could do this via a custom HTTP call in Bridge and avoid the bug here.

BRIAN RICHARDSON | PMO TOOLS AND RESOURCES | HE|HIM

SEATTLE WA, USA

IRON MOUNTAIN

• Randall Alberts CBRE
    Options

Mark - I found this bug as well, but I also found a workaround by Using Project Tags. Instead of using a custom field, I created a Project Tag and tagged each project that had the custom field with a Project Tag the same as the custom field. Then in the filter I selected Project Tag to Include my tag and I was able to have bridge run the report.

Randall Alberts

CBRE| WTS