Configuring multiple sheets to all update each other in datamesh

Options
zzmb
zzmb ✭✭
edited 03/23/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello there,

I am trying to configure datamesh to work between a parent sheet and its children.

I have a master sheet with like information, and an automation that copies rows to child sheets (which all contain the like information and additional information based off of departments) and am trying to link the like information to update both ways.

What I have noticed is that regardless of which sheet I input information to, it ends up looping, erasing and adding itself in the cell repeatedly.

I perused online and in 2019 it looked like datamesh was only to be used moving one direction - is that still the case? If not, any help with a work around?

Thanks!

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you looked into creating row reports in place of the sub-sheets?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @zzmb

DataMesh can copy data to the Child Sheets and have it be a cell link back to the Parent, if that would help! However keep in mind that cell links are one-way: they display live data from the source. This means you won't be able to update the child sheet data without removing that link.

I agree with @Paul Newcome! A Report is the best way to have two-way data updating abilities. A report is like opening up a window into the child sheets, so you can make a change and it's updating the underlying sheet. Or, if you update the underlying sheet, the Report shows that change.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• zzmb
    zzmb ✭✭
    Options

The reason I am trying to use multiple sheets is for security purposes, but I rethought my data and merged some of the sheets. Now I am just working between 2 synced one way with data mesh, and will use reporting from there.

Thanks for the replies!