Generate Document and Maintain Formulas

Options

I'm trying to create a construction work estimate document that automatically populates a client's name, address, customer number, date, etc. at the top of the document. The document itself contains different formulas to sum up individuals costs of the project and adds tax. When I generate the document, I can get all the fields filled in as I'd like, but I lose my formulas, so the document is essentially useless.

I'm guessing Smartsheet just doesn't support this functionality, but I figured I'd ask here first.

Answers

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @vdemattei

You're correct in your assumption as far as I am aware.

I ended up creating helper columns in SmartSheet that did the calculations and then mapped the fields.

The way I understand it, the SmartSheet fields are another layer of data on top of the pdf document.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps and that you have a great day,

Jason Albrecht MBA, MBus(AppFin), DipFinMgt

LinkedIn profile - Open to work

• vdemattei
    vdemattei ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Jason. I'm trying a work around that uses a sheet in place of the document with my formulas - thanks for the idea. However, I'm running into other barriers. I need to create multiple documents/sheets, which I can do using a template sheet, but there are currently no automations that would generate a new sheet from a template, or copy rows to a newly generated sheet from a template. I guess I'll stick to doing things the "old fashioned" way for now.