Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Automation Lock Column

We need to auto-lock a column based on criteria like we can lock rows within the automation workflow.

Darla Brown

What you meditate on, you empower!

Overachiever - Core Product Certified - Mobilizer - EAP

12 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Darla Brown
    Darla Brown Overachievers

I have an approval process for our hotel benchmarker comp sets. The Director of Finance sets the trigger by checking the "Set is Ready for Approval" box. Seems easy enough for the Tier approvers to approve within the email, but a few have checked the box instead of clicking on Approved. So I want to lock the column once the Director of Finance has checked the box.

I can't lock the rows or restrict the sheet as there may be instances of changing rows moving through the queue.

Darla Brown

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So you are looking for more of a "Lock Cell" as opposed to a "Lock Column"?

• Darla Brown

In this case, a locked column. Otherwise, I would need to lock the 5 approver cells below.

But I do like the idea of a Lock Cell for other approval processes I have built.

Darla Brown

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ah. I was thinking your approvers were all listed out along a single row. I didn't realize your approvals were each on their own separate rows.

• Darla Brown

The approval is recorded in each own column, but those are hidden. For the final report, the view below is needed for our C-Suite.

The Approval Status columns are captured from the approval columns with a formula (=[DOF Approval]1) and etc. The approvers are tempted to select the yes to the left of their name instead of allowing the automation to work. If that makes sense.

Darla Brown

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That does make sense. What if you just allowed them to go ahead and select "Yes" and set up a change cell automation? I know it is not exactly what you are looking for, but it could help in the meantime maybe?

• Darla Brown

I did think about that, but I have 25 properties with 25 approval workflows built :) I have a quick training session with the Finance team next week. Hopefully, this will resolve any confusion. I want to keep this process for next year. Last year, they just changed their status to approved, but some went out of order, some didn't save, and some had others approve for them. It was chaos. lol So this seemed to be the better option.

Darla Brown