Why is Dynamic View allowing me to build logic based off one set of dropdown values but not another?

Options
kebern
kebern ✭✭✭
edited 10/03/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

I have a Dynamic View built from a report of multiple sheets.

I am able to build logic in the DV based off a set of dropdown fields from one set of the sheets, as shown here:

But when I try to do the same for another set of the sheets in the report, which has dropdown fields set up exactly the same way, there are no values available in the logic view, as shown here:

I confirmed all of the PLG sheets have the field set as a dropdown with the same values entered, just like in the SLG sheets that are working to build logic in the DV.

I've tried to search why this may not be working; all I have found are posts that suggest this shouldn't be working at all since I'm using a report with so many different sheets that do not all have the same fields. But the SLG dropdown fields, just like the PLG dropdown fields, are not present in all of the sheets in the report.

What else can I try? Thank you!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @kebern

Thank you for all of this information! I know that Dynamic View logic can be a little more complicated when it's based off of a column from a Report, since that means it's based off of each individual underlying sheet, yet trying to display content as if it's one column (not multiple).

Looking at your column names, would it be correct to say that some of the sheets included in the Report don't have this column at all? So in the Report those cells are un-editable and greyed out?

In my testing it looks like Dynamic View chooses one sheet to base the dropdown values off of, assuming that all of the sheets have the same column and properties. This means that if the one sheet it chose as the "representative" does not actually have that column at all, the logic will say "no results found" since the column doesn't exist.

The way I've personally "tricked" DV to look at the correct column is to remove the sheets in the Report temporarily so only the sheets with the active column and correct values appear as rows in the Report.

Then, refreshing Dynamic View, this now shows the correct values to pick from in the dropdown.

Once I've set up the correct logic, I can go back to the Report and add back in the sheets that do not have that column. The Logic is already set so it does not disappear, even though the "default sheet" is back in the mix.

Let me know if that worked for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @kebern

When you note that you've checked that all of the PLG sheets have the "same values entered", do you mean in the Column Properties (double click the column name) or in cells in the sheet?

Even if the sheet does not currently have Rows in the Report, you'll need to make sure all the columns have the same dropdown values as part of the Column properties as Values:

Let me know if this helped!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• kebern
    kebern ✭✭✭
    edited 10/02/23
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P. Thank you for your response! I double-checked and confirmed I do have the same dropdown values set in the column properties across each of the sheets.

I even tried removing and re-adding all of the sheets in question to the report the Dynamic View is built on. I'm still having the same issue and unable to see or select these dropdown values to set conditional logic in the DV.

• kebern
    kebern ✭✭✭
    edited 10/03/23
    Options

I have a total of 12 of these columns, 6 in the SLG sheets and 6 in the PLG sheets:

• SLG Emp BOY Complete
    • SLG Sup BOY Complete
    • SLG Emp Interim Complete
    • SLG Sup Interim Complete
    • SLG Emp EOY Complete
    • SLG Sup EOY Complete
    • PLG Emp BOY Complete
    • PLG Sup BOY Complete
    • PLG Emp Interim Complete
    • PLG Sup Interim Complete
    • PLG Emp EOY Complete
    • PLG Sup EOY Complete

I have made sure that each of these columns across the 7 SLG sheets and 7 PLG sheets are set to:

• Column Type: Dropdown list
    • Allow multiple values per cell: No
    • Restrict to list values only: Yes

And that each unique column (e.g. PLG Emp BOY Complete) has the same dropdown value entered in column properties across each of the 7 sheets where it appears. I would ask if it could be an issue that I have only one dropdown value entered in the column properties (rather than multiple values), but that is also how the SLG column/sheets are set up, and that is working to allow me to set logic in the Dynamic View.

I confirmed all of the relevant fields and sheets are pulled into my report.

I can't find any difference between how the SLG and the PLG fields are set up so I am not sure why I am able to add logic to the Dynamic View based on the SLG fields, but still see no values listed to do so for my PLG fields (see original post image).

I don't have any other logic or settings in place that would affect any of the PLG fields.

Is there a limit to how many logic rules can be set in a Dynamic View? I am at 9 (but I believe I have others with more so I doubt this is it). Actually, I tried creating a separate Dynamic View from the report to see if I could add logic with these fields with nothing else entered and had the same result (when I go to select values for any of the PLG fields, it reads "no results found").

I can't think what else could possibly be set differently that would allow this to work for the SLG fields but not the PLG?

Thank you so much for any help!

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hey @kebern

Thank you for all of this information! I know that Dynamic View logic can be a little more complicated when it's based off of a column from a Report, since that means it's based off of each individual underlying sheet, yet trying to display content as if it's one column (not multiple).

Looking at your column names, would it be correct to say that some of the sheets included in the Report don't have this column at all? So in the Report those cells are un-editable and greyed out?

In my testing it looks like Dynamic View chooses one sheet to base the dropdown values off of, assuming that all of the sheets have the same column and properties. This means that if the one sheet it chose as the "representative" does not actually have that column at all, the logic will say "no results found" since the column doesn't exist.

The way I've personally "tricked" DV to look at the correct column is to remove the sheets in the Report temporarily so only the sheets with the active column and correct values appear as rows in the Report.

Then, refreshing Dynamic View, this now shows the correct values to pick from in the dropdown.

Once I've set up the correct logic, I can go back to the Report and add back in the sheets that do not have that column. The Logic is already set so it does not disappear, even though the "default sheet" is back in the mix.

Let me know if that worked for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• kebern
    kebern ✭✭✭
    Options

Amazing, that did it, thank you so much @Genevieve P. !

• Darren Mullen
    Darren Mullen ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. Good trick. I have a control center build that pulls in lots of sheets from a workspace, and yes, not all sheets have the column. So, I did the "trick" and it worked great!