Contact List column updated from Microsoft Dynamics

Options

I am populating a contact list column using the Microsoft Dynamics connector. Even though the contacts are created in the Smartsheet, populating it with the exact name using the connector does not create it as a contact and inserts the name as text.

This means that you cannot use this contact list column in any workflows as it does not send out notifications to those contacts because of the text input. Is there a way to populate the contact list from a connector so it populate as a contact and not as text?

Answers

• SolutionSal
    SolutionSal Employee
    edited 10/19/23
    Options

Hi Warren,

To achieve this you will have to import the contacts into the 'My Smartsheet Contacts' of the owner of the Data Shuttle connecter workflow. Once contacts are imported in that users contact book then they will begin to be recognized as full contact cards.

You also have to (in data shuttle) upload the contacts as email values only. In my experience there is no need to include names.

Hope this helps!

Sal

• Warren B
    Options

Hi Sal,

I'm not currently using Data Shuttle. The Smartsheet is getting populated by the Microsoft Dynamics connector. Are you saying I need to create a data shuttle workflow to find and replace the values in the Smartsheet contact column?

Thanks

Warren

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @Warren B

I haven't personally tested this with a Dynamics Connector, but my guess here is that the Name can only be recognized as a text value when being input this way.

Try adding values as email addresses (without the Name) to the column. It may not show the display name in Smartsheet, but this should allow automations/notifications to still send out to those emails.

Let us know if this works for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve