Different Contacts for Final Signer in Docusign

Options

Hi,

I have set up a template in DocuSign and linked it to Smartsheet, however, I need to be able to set who is the signer internally as it will likely be a variable depending on the type of MNDA. Does anyone know if it is possible to enter a 1st Signer (Contact Person) then have the field for the final signer be variable based on the input in Smartsheet?

Best Answer

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Manuel Lemus

In my experience with setting up multiple linked documents, the variable signer needs to be chosen in Smartsheet before sending it to DocuSign.

Where abouts in your process would the variable signatory be identified?

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, it sounds like you have a DocuSign sent to the Contact Person (1st Signer), then some extra details are added to the Smartsheet line, which then determines who the final (variable) signer will be. And, if I'm being extra perceptive, you're tying to automate this whole process, without someone manually identifying the 2nd signatory and having to log into DocuSign and send (forward) the DocuSign to the final signatory.

If this is the case, then I don't believe it can be done without some manual intervention at the moment.

Is there a way of gathering the required data before sending the DocuSign to both (identified) signatories in one hit?

Or have I missed your question completely?

Hope this helps and that you have a great day,

Jason Albrecht MBA, MBus(AppFin), DipFinMgt

LinkedIn profile - Open to work

Answers

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Manuel Lemus

In my experience with setting up multiple linked documents, the variable signer needs to be chosen in Smartsheet before sending it to DocuSign.

Where abouts in your process would the variable signatory be identified?

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, it sounds like you have a DocuSign sent to the Contact Person (1st Signer), then some extra details are added to the Smartsheet line, which then determines who the final (variable) signer will be. And, if I'm being extra perceptive, you're tying to automate this whole process, without someone manually identifying the 2nd signatory and having to log into DocuSign and send (forward) the DocuSign to the final signatory.

If this is the case, then I don't believe it can be done without some manual intervention at the moment.

Is there a way of gathering the required data before sending the DocuSign to both (identified) signatories in one hit?

Or have I missed your question completely?

• Manuel Lemus
    Manuel Lemus ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/05/23
    Options

Thanks Jason! You did help answer my question. Essentially, I want the "final signer" to be identified in Smartsheet with the potential of the contact being a variable entry. To that end, it sounds like that is not possible which is what I was thinking was the case anyway.

• Jason Albrecht
    Jason Albrecht ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If it helps at all, one of our solutions (which didn't go ahead, so I didn't get to fully test it) was to have the final signatory a generic company email. We would then log into DocuSign and forward/assign the document to the appropriate signatory, once we knew who the appropriate signatory would be (i.e., a field in Smartsheet updated, with an update request sent to those monitoring the generic email).

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Manuel Lemus

I hope you're well and safe!

I want to double-check one thing. Do you know who the final signer is when the Workflow is triggered in Smartsheet?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Manuel Lemus
    Manuel Lemus ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå Yes, I have a column specifically for the "variable contact" in Smartsheet so we would know ahead. I just dont know how to trigger the integration from the contact column so that it sends to that final signer in Smartsheet via Docusign if that makes sense.