Changes to asset Admin permissions and new Plan Asset Admin role, now generally available!

Options

Answers

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Julie Becker ☠️

Construction Project Engineer / Coordinator & Software Program Oversight Mgr. 😉

Successful People Are Not Gifted; They Just Work Hard, Then Succeed On Purpose‼️

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Julie Fortney Thank you very much for providing this info today. As you guys use it more, can you please fill us in on pros/cons/issues/no issues, so that the rest of us can be less stressed about the inner workings of this new feature please? I am thrilled they rolled it out, but not happy about their rights to certain things (Security and others).. But again thank you on behalf of the others without this account level EAP access to test.

Julie Becker ☠️

Successful People Are Not Gifted; They Just Work Hard, Then Succeed On Purpose‼️

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/08/24
    Options

This might be a really stupid question, but i cant seem to find the exact answer or similar on whether or not any sheet that is NOT in a "Designated Workspace" (these live in the sheets folder above the "Workspace" section), be available to all users in the account after Smartsheets converts "Individual" Owned to "Plan Level"?

Basically i need to know if we have sensitive data in several sheets not shared with our staff and lives in the "Individual'" Owner's Sheet folder, would those sheets now be exposed to everyone in the account after the "Plan Level" Ownership has been activated?

I am hoping someone can help me with this question / concern we have at the moment. I read earlier that if anyone of us falls into this category, to look into creating another account and transfer those over (which is ridiculous). Below is a screenshot i took from the ONLY page i can find any info on such a massive change to our plans that points out our SA's cant open the asset, but can grant themselves that access. So does this confirm that ONLY our account SA's would be exposed to this info? Maybe i am overthinking this and the answer is clearly below, but i need confirmation. If the Smartsheets team would just update the article and the permissions table, this would help answer some of our questions in this forum.

Can ANYONE confirm this please? 😕

Asset ownership updates

Julie Becker ☠️

• QuanT
    QuanT Employee
    Options

Hi @Debbie Sawyer , If you're developing the solution in the customer's workspace, the asset will be in the customer's plan and there's no need to transfer ownership.

We are seeing other issues around not having "Make owner" and may bring it back temporarily. The team is going through the EAP feedback around this and working through the scenarios

• QuanT
    QuanT Employee
    Options

Your system admin or the plan asset admin will not see those sheets by default, nor can they click on a link to open them and see all the content. The sysadmin and plan asset admin would instead get the UI that tells them they don't have access and they can request access. If they request access, the access request is sent to the owner/admin on the asset. If no owner/admin exists on the asset, the request is then sent to the plan asset admin who can approve the request.

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you @QuanT for clarifying this for me. That really helps me understand the true function overall now. 😉

Julie Becker ☠️

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/11/24
    Options

@QuanT I am sorry but I disagree that "...there's no need to transfer ownership."

As a consultant I do not wish to leave items in a client workspace with my name on them in the Owner Column when viewing the list of items in the right had pane of the main screen. I have always transferred ownership to the client on items I create for them, so that there are no issues at the end of my contract with them and we all know that I can be removed from the workspace without any confusing messaging about item ownership and with nothing breaking.

This has always been a feature and I would request that this feature to "Make Owner" is left to work as it always has done.

• QuanT
    QuanT Employee
    Options

@Debbie Sawyer Hi Debbie, thanks for the additional context. As mentioned, we're reviewing the EAP feedback with the team. We're keeping the consultant scenarios in mind and will make sure we address this

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you - I'll look out for an update when the decision has been made on this.

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@QuanT you guys would have alot more valuable feedback if the EAP removed the account level only testing to just individual since we can still test the product.

If removing it isnt an option, at least allow those in the EAP as individuals be given the option to test with the account level groups, otherwise your just relying on that small %. I am guessing most of us who are following future releases are already signed up with EAP, and if i was in your position, i would want all the available testers i can get rather than rely on the small group that do have their account EAP active to be your guinea pigs 😁

Julie Becker ☠️

• QuanT
    QuanT Employee
    Options

@Julie Becker Thanks Julie, unfortunately, the backend changes for this aren't set up to work for one user and not others in an organization. I agree that we want as much feedback as possible. This change just doesn't allow us to do that.

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@QuanT

Are you still planning to cut over to Plan Asset Admins this week/month? Timeframe?

TIA

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I 2nd the request for an update on the release of this feature as it was mentioned a few times by the Smartsheets Staff that it was supposed to be rolled out today, but based upon the responses from @QuanT the past few days, it seems they are still testing and dealing with bugs found from EA's.

However, an ETA would be very much appreciated Quan

Julie Becker ☠️

• Lekshmi Unnithan
    Options

Hello Community,

The first phase of the asset ownership changes is currently in EAP. However, we previously communicated to SysAdmins that it would become generally available to all customers on February 14, 2024. This is to let you know that due to EAP feedback, we've decided to make some further improvements to this process and are now aiming for a general availability date anytime on or after March 5, 2024.

Warm regards,

Lekshmi Unnithan

Senior Product Marketing Manager

• Julie Becker
    Julie Becker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/16/24
    Options

@Lekshmi Unnithan Thank you very much for this much needed update. If there is any chance we can be shared with some of that feedback (what was found/issues/suggestions), so that we might be able to piggyback off them with additional suggestions/questions regardless having access or not to the feature.

Most of us following this are very experienced with the program enough to know what issues they would be talking about, so if that is something you can share (in a list form or screenshot) that would be awesome.

Julie Becker ☠️