Smartsheet Merge for Google Docs authentication error

Amy G
Amy G ✭✭✭
edited 12/21/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi,

I'm having an issue with the Google Add-On Smartsheet Merge for Google Docs authenticating. I have read the following document: Smartsheet Merge add-on for Google Docs | Smartsheet Learning Center. As well as other articles in the Smartsheet Community and Google search and help results.

After I click Connect to Smartsheet in the panel to the right, enter my Smartsheet account credentials, and click Allow, the page reloads to a Google Drive error message. The panel on the original tab reloads to the same Connect to Smartsheet prompt from when I started.

I have tried:

Clearing all browsing data from all time. Signing out of all accounts. Closing all browser windows. Restarting the computer.

I am using the latest version of Google Chrome and no third-party extensions are enabled. I have verified Chrome is an allowed app in my Windows Defender Firewall.

The add-on shows up in both account settings after attempting to connect, the Google account and the Smartsheet account. I have tried revoking the connection in both accounts and then starting a fresh login with no browsing data or login history.

This add-on has worked and is currently being used by my company. I am trying to set up a new user. My own Google and Smartsheet accounts are working with this add-on, as are several of my coworkers who utilize it as well. Nothing on our Smartsheet account has changed.

On the Google side, we have moved the domain where we send/receive email from Google to Microsoft. We did this back in May but retained a handful of Google accounts to be able to keep the function of this add-on. We have all continued to use it for months after this change.

I tried connecting a free Google account to Smartsheet and received the same error. Before attempting this, I performed the same ritual of clearing and deleting everything for a fresh login on a fresh reboot.

The error is rather cryptic, I can't tell where or what is failing so that we can figure out our next steps. The domain change seems to be the obvious culprit, but then why do our accounts still work, and why doesn't a free account work?

Any insight or experience that might help us find a workaround is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy


Tags:

Answers

  • Hi! I'm experiencing the same issues. I own the Google doc and I can use the Smartsheet add-on for the merge; however, my colleagues who have edit access to both the Google doc and the Smartsheet grid receive the same error message. We did almost exactly what you spelled out as well and then I thought perhaps it was a sharing permission issue, but maybe there's something else in the backend?

  • Amy G
    Amy G ✭✭✭

    Hi, that's good to know. I feel like I'm going crazy.

    I can verify that I am the owner of the Google Doc and of the Smartsheet source sheet, but my colleagues who also use the add-on for that particular doc and sheet are still able to use it.

    They have editor permissions to both the Google Drive folder where all these docs are located, and the Smartsheet workspace as unlicenced collaborators, but I am the owner in both platforms. That hasn't created an issue for us that I am aware of.

    Have your colleagues experiencing the issues ever been able to log into Smartsheet within the add-on? or was this their first attempt?

  • shawnaL
    shawnaL ✭✭

    Same happening here. It's verrrrry annoying.

  • IBRIEOG
    IBRIEOG ✭✭✭✭

    Experiencing the same issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled the extension and did notice there was an update back in December which may be the cause?

  • Amy G
    Amy G ✭✭✭

    @IBRIEOG I didn't put it in my original post, but I did uninstall and reinstall the extension to no avail.

    Did that solve it for you? or do you think the update might have broke it?

  • I'm having the same problem. I hope there will be a fix available soon. This is awful...

  • Is there any update on this matter cause Im having the same issue..

  • This is an awful work around but its what I'm doing... I export my SmartSheet data to google sheets, then mail merge to a google doc.

  • Yes, as far as I tell, that is the case. Like I said, its an awful (crude) work around, but it does work. Definitely a short term thing.

  • iambuckybadger
    edited 02/06/24

    I'm trying to set up this integration for the first time and getting the same error. I have a coworker who was using this integration in the past and was able to set it up. Has anyone made any progress on this?

  • Amy G
    Amy G ✭✭✭

    @iambuckybadger

    Your coworker was able to get it to work for you, using your credentials? or they were able to make the connection again with their credentials?

    We have several active connections that were set up previously that are still working. The issue is a need to connect it for a new account and I can't get past this error. I don't want this team to have to use logins other than their own to perform their job functions.

  • @Amy G Sorry I should have been more clear. I have a coworker who set this up a year or two ago and it's still working for him. I'm trying to set it up for the first time using my account and it will not work. I opened a case with Smartsheet and they closed it and said I should contact Google. I asked them to reopen it and told them it's not resolved. I also sent them this thread.

  • Amy G
    Amy G ✭✭✭

    @iambuckybadger

    Thank you for the follow-up. Knowing that Smartsheet thinks it is Google sheds more light than I had previously.