Dynamic selection of drop-down options in a form

Raluca Arba
Raluca Arba ✭✭
edited 01/19/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello,

I am interested in finding a solution to dynamically choose what options a drop-down list displays when a certain value is selected in another drop-down. As an example:

We have Category 1 and Category 2 with the following options:

and a form with 2 drop-downs - one for category and one for option.

When the user chooses Category 1 in the first drop-down of a form I want to see in the Options drop-down only the options that are associated with Category 1. When the user chooses Category 2 in the first drop-down the second drop-down would show only the 2 options associated with Category 2.

Current solution that I have - The options are dynamically added to a drop-down with Data Shuttle. I use two different drop-down list for the 2 category options but that saves the values into 2 different columns and that adds too many columns when having more than 2 or 3 categories.

The challenge - to find a solution that will change the options into the second drop-down dynamically and save the chosen options into a single column.

Tags:

Answers

• Hi @Raluca Arba

Currently Smartsheet Forms do not have a way of dynamically adjusting what values are displayed in one dropdown list based off of values selecting in another list. You can use conditional logic to display an entirely new column/dropdown, which it sounds like you're doing.

Please feel free to add your vote and voice to this Product Idea: Cascading Forms

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now