Save a report on a monthly basis

Options
richvolpe
richvolpe
edited 04/05/24 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi

I have a Smartsheet report that I need to save a snapshot of on a monthly basis (1st of each month).

Ideally I'd like this automated so that it is downloaded as an excel spreadsheet each month.

Currently this is just done manually, by using a reminder and someone needs to login and download the snapshot on the required date. Ideally we want this automated.

I have found that you can setup a recurring backup for 'Sheets' but not for 'Reports'.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

Best Answer

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @richvolpe,

please try the following :

Option 1 : Use Smartsheet API

You can utilize the Smartsheet API to programmatically access and download reports. This involves writing a script that uses the API to fetch the report data and then save it as an Excel file. The script can be scheduled to run automatically on the 1st of each month using a task scheduler.

Step 1: Obtain an API access token from Smartsheet. This is necessary for authenticating your script's requests.

Step 2: Use the API to get the report data. Smartsheet API provides endpoints to access report data.

Step 3: Write the data to an Excel file. This can be done using a library like pandas in Python.

Step 4: Schedule the script. Use Windows Task Scheduler, cron jobs on Linux, or any cloud function service like AWS Lambda or Google Cloud Functions to run your script monthly.

Option 2: Third-party Integration Tools

Consider using third-party tools and services that integrate with Smartsheet and offer extended automation capabilities, such as Zapier, Integromat, or Workato. These platforms can trigger actions based on time or events in Smartsheet:

Zapier: You might set up a Zap that triggers monthly, fetches report data from Smartsheet, and creates an Excel file in Dropbox, Google Drive, or emails it to you.

Integromat/Make: Similar to Zapier, you can create automated workflows that connect Smartsheet with other apps to manage the report data export.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• richvolpe
    Options

Thanks for the quick response Bassam.

I have tried to do it using Zapier, though it only seems to allow me to save a 'Sheet' and doesn't allow saving a 'Report'

See screenshot below:

• xSnipersGox1
    Answer ✓
    Options

Send attachment function with shedule may be what you are looking for?

• richvolpe
    Options

Looks like this will work - thank you !!