[GIVEAWAY] Win 1 seat to a Multi-Day Smartsheet University course

Options

Comments

• NLevers
    Options

My favorite training I ever took was a leadership class where we learned about learning styles, and personality types and how people function together. There was one scenario we did where we broke into our "groups" and had to resolve a problem. My group found the problem very easy. There was a very logical answer. The other group was completely torn up about it because there was also a very emotional answer. They struggled for over a half hour to come up with something, meanwhile we took a break and hung out... When we finally came together to share the plans, the disbelief on the other teams face when we gave our logical answer was hysterical! They were horrified that we were not more compassionate! And quite frankly we thought they were ridiculous for jumping through the hoops that they were... It was a great example of something everyone knew about themselves, but to see it in practice, and see the emotional toll it took on people was stunning. It made me step back with employees and consider how they approach things, to ensure that I meet their needs. There is a happy balance to everything, you just have to find it.

• Brooke Weber
    Options

One of my favorite courses takes me all the way back to high school, believe it or not. I took a Beginners Art class where the instructor recognized my interest and passion in more advanced art, such as oil, acrylic, and airbrush painting. He had said as long as I completed the required class assignments for the Beginners course I could have all the freedom to leverage the tools and supplies of the advanced course. This opened the door to me learning far more advanced painting techniques from him and others in the advanced class, and it boosted my passion and interest for painting that has lasted me through to this day. Some of the best paintings I've ever done was when I was a teenager in his class. I've often wondered how my life would be different if an art teacher in high school would have shut me down from exploring opportunities and interests beyond my current course. He could have very easily told me the supplies, airbrush tools, wall space, canvas framing and painting time was reserved for advanced students, but he welcomed me and I'll be forever grateful. My best experiences throughout life have been when instructors and leaders encouraged me to seek opportunities that interest me and provide a creative outlet beyond what is planned, and I wouldn't be where I am today with skills I've picked up along the way had it not been for supportive leadership.

• RekhaP
    Options

It's been a while since I've had any courses, let alone any that I felt were really inspiring, but I do fondly recall my science classes in high school. The teacher was approachable, had fun challenging lessons that involved various activities, and we occasionally got to end the class by playing Trivial Pursuit to get to go early. Reminds me that people learn better when they are engaged in the material, and that people need information presented in various ways for optimal learning.

• Paul_King
    Options

Best set of courses was the Certified Financial Planning curriculum back in the 1980s-1990s. Back in the day when each of the 6 courses came in separate 3-ring binder for self-study. No videos to watch! There was a separate test for each module and then a comprehensive exam. I am certain it has changed over the years but this fits my preferred learning style.

• goldmanaz
    Options

One of my favorite courses was when I went for my Certified Scrum Master certification. The teacher was very interactive and engaging. He has us do a lot of live exercises that helped us to apply what we were learning as we went through the lessons. He also stays in touch with all of his students and when he comes to town, you have the opportunity to meet him for lunch, drinks to engage in discussions from our experiences since the class.

• Keissinger
    Options

My favorite course integrated Vygotskian and Piagetian theories with adult learning principles. It featured group activities, peer feedback, role-play, case studies, simulations, and self-evaluation.

• safaa
    Options

Hello,

I'm relatively new to this community, having joined this year to leverage Smartsheet for better management of my team's projects and tasks. So far, I've been impressed with how Smartsheet provides clear visibility of our progress, and I'm learning something new every day. I look forward to discovering even more.

Regarding training, the courses I've enjoyed the most are Project Management and Lean Six Sigma. Both have been immensely valuable in enhancing my knowledge and skills.

• Adnan Mustafa
    Options

Twenty years back, I attended a workshop titled "Strategic Visions". It aimed to enable a person to have a bird's-eye view of one's life, find out what matters most, establish life goals based on these findings, and monitors progress towards these goals. That workshop was the most useful learning activity I have done to date.

• Mandel Communications: Presentation Skills Training

This was (hands-down) the best-used 3 days of training I have had in my professional career.

I work in an organization where influencing skills are key. Influencing skills, of course, are skills that can benefit both personal and professional lives. The focus of the course is around developing a crisp and clear communication style.

• amali
    Options

My favorite class was a class in instructional design. It helped me better understand conditions needed for adults to learn, and it help me understand how I could evaluate whether the training I provided was impactful. It also made me cognization of defining clearly what an individual could expect to learn in a class, and carefully crafting the training to impact those discrete skills.

• Michal Yosfan
    Options

When I was young I took an archeology course. We visited archeological sites and investigated all sorts of findings. As I am very interseted in history, it has been facsinating for me and further from my occuption as can be.

• Bhakti Bev Kehoe
    Options

I am late to comment as I was attending and just finished a 2-day Conference (April 11-12) at Tribhuvan University in Pokhara on "Aesthetics of Cultural Representation: Identity, Power, and Artistic Expression." In addition to a compelling series of presentations, the conference incited in me a passion for learning more about the Nepali experience, both in this amazing country and in the diaspora. While Pokhara was just designated as the "Tourism Capital of Nepal," I am coming home not with t-shirts and souvenirs but deep friendships and a reading list ranging from the 'Upanishad' to 'Infidel'.

• Arturo Fajardo
    Options

As I walked into the cybersecurity awareness training session, I could immediately sense that it was going to be different from the usual mundane lectures. The room was set up with interactive displays, and the facilitator greeted us warmly, exuding enthusiasm for the topic.

The session kicked off with a riveting story about a recent cyber attack, instantly grabbing everyone's attention. The facilitator used this as a segue into discussing the importance of cybersecurity in our daily lives, both at work and at home. Rather than bombarding us with technical jargon, the facilitator kept the content relatable and easy to understand. Through engaging visuals and real-life examples, they illustrated various cyber threats such as phishing emails, malware, and social engineering tactics.

What made this training truly great was the hands-on approach. We were given laptops to simulate common cyber attacks and were tasked with identifying red flags and implementing security measures to mitigate the risks. It was empowering to see how simple actions like setting up strong passwords and enabling two-factor authentication could make a significant difference in protecting our digital assets. Throughout the session, the facilitator encouraged active participation, inviting questions and fostering discussions among the group. They shared practical tips and resources for staying safe online, emphasizing the importance of being vigilant and proactive in our cybersecurity practices.

As the training came to a close, I felt more confident and equipped to navigate the digital landscape securely. The facilitator reiterated the importance of continuous learning and provided resources for further exploration. Walking out of the room, I knew that this training had not only raised my awareness but had also inspired me to take concrete steps towards enhancing my cybersecurity posture. In retrospect, what made this cybersecurity awareness training great was its emphasis on engagement, practicality, and empowerment. It wasn't just about ticking off boxes; it was about equipping us with the knowledge and tools to safeguard ourselves in an increasingly digital world.

• a.mcintyre
    Options

In my undergraduate I got a scholarship to study in London and at the time, I was minoring in Art History. The Art History course I took in London was so great. We got to go on field trips to museums to look at the amazing art and the discussions were so non-judgemental and so welcoming. I loved that class.

• Heger
    Options

Hello,

Best classes I ve got were about program and project management using MS project when I started 15 years ago. Then 6 years ago, I was introduced to Smartsheet having some basic trainings about how to use it in our daily work. this helped me align with the changes of todays´model of work remote using AI becasue to what I know Smartsheet is considered as GenAI for project management.

This discussion has been closed.