[GIVEAWAY] Win 1 seat to a Multi-Day Smartsheet University course

Options

Comments

• Kayla Torontow
    edited 04/12/24
    Options

So first of all, Smartsheet: you do a GREAT job with your training content on the Smartsheet University. I tout this as some of the best I've seen for on-demand learning that caters to all learning styles. Great job!

If you want to go WAAAAY back... I took typing, on an old typewriter for grade 9 homeroom. I had a tough teacher who DRILLED touch typing into us. At the time, we didn't recognize the importance. But now, as an adult in the work world where technology is at the core of all I do... I credit my fast touch typing skills for my productivity. It's a great strength to be able to type notes as quickly as an instructor speaks, to eliminate transcription of notes, and to simply capture things almost as quickly as my brain spits them out!

• Bradhickswa
    Bradhickswa ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are a few courses that come to mind for me.

One - High school biology - It didn't start off that way...the teacher was pretty intimidating at first and I had a difficult time during the first term. But, once I realized what her approach was and how to succeed, I LOVED it! She wrote all her notes on the chalkboard and so as long as you wrote along with her, her exams were a direct copy of the notes! She had a tough exterior, but on the inside, was just a big softy. The rest of the year went by smoothly and I still miss her class to this day!

Two - Systematics of Mammals - Probably the most interesting class I had taken during my undergrad. This course was all taxonomy, so identifying species of the pacific northwest and memorizing their scientific hierarchical names. Our exams consisted of a variety of specimens laid out on huge tables and based on their physical traits, we'd identify what they were. It's not as easy as you'd think! ;-)

• Jessica Schuler
    Options

One of my favorite courses was on LinkedIn Learning called "How to Write Emails People Want to Read." It was super informative and fun!

• Frank Hammond
    Frank Hammond ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Net +, really opened my eyes to the world of networking and such, great time learning and taking the exam.

• tiacampbell
    Options

My favorite course was one I completed in 2022 called Train the Trainer. It provided the right balance of challenge and reward, and has been useful in my professional career as someone who often has to educate colleagues on new policies and requirements.

• Stephanie_A_W
    Options

One of my favorite courses I've taken was a recent leadership training. It's always helpful to get tips and insights from other industry leaders and I left with many takeaways and best practices I implemented into my management style immediately.

• DGaddy
    Options

My favorite class was psychology in college. The professor provided an outline of each class, including references to the reading material, and even included where he would break away from the lesson for a side discussion. Whenever he digressed from the lecture, it was always a relevant story to the topic at hand. Sometimes we didn't know where the story was going, but since they were always relatable experiences, it made learning more engaging and memorable.

• teefunnee
    Options

Human Anatomy & Physiology is my favorite course I've ever taken. It was a year-long, three term course so we dove deep into systems, components and functions. I loved learning about the human body and how it works. While I never did end up using that knowledge professionally, I am almost guaranteed to sweep that category when it comes up in Jeopardy! so it still paid off.

• bspaethe
    Options

I took a Desert Literature course in undergrad because the course was let by a professor who was compelling to listen to. He was passionate and did thoughtful research on all the topics he covered. I didn't care much about the desert (having grown up in the Midwest), but I was that captivated by this Professor's love of what he did. What made this one my favorite of all his courses: he began with a guide on how to survive in the desert before we read anything literary. This way, we could understand the harshness of the climate as well as see images of the plant and animal life that thrived there before learning how the people in our stories experienced the desert. This method of learning: setting a contextual stage, is a framework I've thought about in my own teaching and learning. What level am I starting from? Complete novice? What do I already know? How many perspectives and techniques can be used on the same task/tool? How do we build the best "survival guide" for the project?

• I have really enjoyed the classes on forms and the ease of gathering information from that tool. I have used it several times for initiatives across the organization.

• Al French
    Options

The course that keeps coming to mind was Coursera Class - Learning how to Learn by Barbara Oakley - I find that I just keep hearing her voice as I am approaching new problems.

• ksmith1
    ksmith1 ✭✭✭
    Options

Probably one of my favorite professional development classes I have taken was "Project Management for the Unofficial Project Manager." I found it very interesting and it got me interested in learning more about project management in general. That led me to discovering Smartsheet and here we are. :)

• JMW1
    Options

A favorite course I've taken was Tableau Bootcamp by O'Reilly. Loved the real world application, loved that the learning centered on the core components to get up and running in a manner that enabled be to create value out the gate. The satisfaction of being able to successfully build and publish a business dashboard from scratch was and remains priceless.

• MichaelDJ
    Options

I took an exceptional online technical course through Pluralsight which offer a nice blend of engaging content, interactive elements, and short consumable topics to facilitate easy learning. They had a number of key elements that contribute to my enjoying this course such as:

1. Clear Learning Objectives
    2. Structured Content
    3. Engaging Multimedia and Replay Videos (e.g. videos, animations, infographics)
    4. Accessible Resources
    5. Mobile Friendly
    6. Expert Instructors
    7. Progress Tracking
    8. Real-World Applications and Case Studies
  • AVazquez
    Options

One of my favorite courses that I've taken was "Problem Solving", it was design for an engineering point of view, however it gave really useful tools, methodologies, and techniques that could be applied to a lot of scenarios, even outside of work including our personal life, which was really helpful in a lot of ways, making it really great!

This discussion has been closed.