Dashboard not showing for shared users

Options

Hi,

I've created a dashboard that displays information unique to each user. The reports included in the dashboard are filtered by Current User, and the Widgets are set to "Their own perspective."

I am a licensed user and am the Owner of the dashboard, all of it's reports, and the sheets behind them. This dashboard needs to be available to people, showing only their information. As a licensed user, I can see everything properly. Other licensed users can see their information properly as well. But when I try to share it out to others so they can see their information, it fails.

I have set the published the dashboard, but none of the options (anyone with link, users within account, shared users) work. One of my colleagues uses the free version, and depending on the publishing option I get, he either sees red magnifying glasses (within account, shared user, shared user) or blue (after sharing the URL for the page in the address bar).

I have added, deleted and re-added him to my contacts but that doesn't seem to help. How do I make this dashboard visible to and all other users? Would creating a group help (I don't currently have that permission and don't know whether I'll be able to get approval to get it).

Thank you for your help!

Stephanie

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Stephanie B.

I hope you're well and safe!

Using Current User, you'd have to share the underlying sheets with them or use one of the premium apps, Dynamic View or WorkApps.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Stephanie B.
    Options

Hi Andrée,

Thank you for your response.

To make sure I understand, I would have to share the source sheet with them? That contains confidential information that we are unable to share. Are we able to limit what they can see in both rows and columns?

While dynamic view is possible, the format is terrible - just one long row of information with no ability to break the information into specific chunks like we have below (at least as far as I'm aware).

Here's a screenshot of what we are trying to create.

Would Work Apps help us to accomplish this?

Thanks! Stephanie

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Stephanie B.

Happy to help!

Yes, you would have to share the underlying sheets, and it's not possible to secure what they can see.

WorkApps would solve it.

Another option

• I recently developed a (what I call), Dynamic View Light. It's quite advanced, but in short, it's using cross-sheet formulas and INDEX/MATCH and a specific structure and method so it's only possible to show data that should be available.

Would any of those options work/help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Stephanie B.
    Options

Thanks, Andrée!

I've not used Work Apps before, though I did once get a pretty nifty demo at a Smartsheet conference. I'll check out a couple of tutorials. I've started a sandbox in the meantime. If the reports are set to current user and the dashboard is set to their own perspective. I can create a role in the app for viewer that's then shared out to my audience. Once I've shared to them and published, they'll be able to see only their info. And, if I create a group for them, I can share to the group rather than the individual user, and they'll still see only their information. Do I have that right?

Thanks again! Steph

• Stephanie B.
    Options

I was successful in making the WorkApp and it looks great! It works for licensed users, but unlicensed users whom I've added get this message:

For XXXX XXXX to use spark! Participant Peer Feedback Dashboard, you need to unlock full WorkApps collaborator access. Please contact your organization's System Admin to discuss WorkApps collaborator capabilities.

It seems that's only available for unlicensed or free users at an additional cost. We don't have the ability to add that many users to our license at this time. Is my only option Dynamic Views?

Thanks, Steph

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Stephanie B.

You're more than welcome!

You could add a Collaborator Pack for the number of unlicensed users or upgrade to the Advance package.

Other than that, Dynamiv View is the best option.

How many users would need access? (Maybe individual Dashboards using my Light option could work)

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!