Smartsheet-Jira Integration not synching assignee & date field

Options
CWibben
CWibben ✭✭✭
edited 04/04/24 in Add Ons and Integrations

We have a few workflows where 11 fields are setup to synch between Smartsheet & Jira. The fields synching correctly include: Issue Key, Summary, Type, Status, Priority, Label, Start & Stop dates.  However, the "Assigned to" (contacts, unrestricted) and a "Trend Start Date" & "Due Date" (both are date field, unrestricted) are not synching.  I have linked the respective fields using bidirectional and changed to pushing from Smartsheet to Jira. They did not synch. However, when I change the direction to flow from Jira to Smartsheet, the data I had entered in the Smartsheet column changed to be blank, even though the issue/ticket in Jira did have an assignee and due date which were previously manually entered.  I have also recreated the workflow from scratch. These fields do not seem to synch.  Workflow is set to "Keep issues auto updated in both...".  Suggestions on other potential solutions? 

Best Answer

• CWibben
    CWibben ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks Isaac. Yes - both had multiple fields in Jira.

For Assignee:  Though the Jira card field view was labeled “Assignee”, the information was actually in “Assignee Display Name”.  Once I made that synch, the names synched.  However, it appeared as a plain text w/ name & e-mail.  I wanted this bi-directional w/out wiping out or changing my Smartsheet contact column, so I had to create a “Jira Assignee” Text/number column in Smartsheet to synched and then manually compare columns. Not ideal, but workable.

For the due date:  There were 2 potential fields (Due Date and Due date) in Jira (the only difference was the lower case “d” on the word “date”).  In the Jira card, only “Due Date” appeared w/ a date next to it on the Jira card and when mapping fields, only “Due Date” appeared.  However after some trial & error, the actual date was in the “Due date” (lowercase d) field.  So we simply deleted “Due Date” and added “Due date” and the synch worked. 

Answers

• Isaac A.
    Isaac A. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @CWibben!

Thanks for sharing your query with us! It's great to see you diving into the syncing world of Smartsheet and Jira.

I wanted to give you a heads-up that we noticed you had a support ticket open for this issue, and it looks like you managed to crack the case on your own. Kudos for your detective skills!

It seems like the trouble stemmed from some sneaky name mix-ups in Jira, especially with the "Assigned to" and "Due Date" fields.

To ensure your workflow runs along smoothly, it's essential to map the correct fields between Smartsheet and Jira. Always double-check that you're syncing with the fields where the information actually resides.

For instance, in the case of "Assigned to" data, make sure you're syncing with the field in Jira where the assignee information is stored. Similarly, for "Due Date" synchronization, verify that you're connecting with the field in Jira that holds the due date details.

By confirming these mappings, you'll troubleshoot any syncing snags and keep your workflow running seamlessly. See Create workflows with the Smartsheet Jira Connector for tips & guidance while working with the connector.

Cheers,

Isaac.

• CWibben
    CWibben ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks Isaac. Yes - both had multiple fields in Jira.

For Assignee:  Though the Jira card field view was labeled “Assignee”, the information was actually in “Assignee Display Name”.  Once I made that synch, the names synched.  However, it appeared as a plain text w/ name & e-mail.  I wanted this bi-directional w/out wiping out or changing my Smartsheet contact column, so I had to create a “Jira Assignee” Text/number column in Smartsheet to synched and then manually compare columns. Not ideal, but workable.

For the due date:  There were 2 potential fields (Due Date and Due date) in Jira (the only difference was the lower case “d” on the word “date”).  In the Jira card, only “Due Date” appeared w/ a date next to it on the Jira card and when mapping fields, only “Due Date” appeared.  However after some trial & error, the actual date was in the “Due date” (lowercase d) field.  So we simply deleted “Due Date” and added “Due date” and the synch worked.