How to generate an ID number, incrementing by 1 the last ID number created in previous row?

I have a sheet with already multiple rows created. I have a column with ID numbers for each row. I want to set up an automatic way to generate an ID number for all future rows added.

For exemple, the last row created has an ID number of 2300. How to automatically generate an ID number of 2301 for a new row added?

Best Answer

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Nezar Loukili,

Can you just use the Auto-Numbering column built in to Smartsheet? I think if you add that column then save/refresh the numbers should populate.

Otherwise, you could just use the following formula in the next blank row:

=INT([ID number]10) + 1

(the 10 can be changed to whatever the last row that a number is populated in)

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

Answers

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @Nezar Loukili,

Can you just use the Auto-Numbering column built in to Smartsheet? I think if you add that column then save/refresh the numbers should populate.

Otherwise, you could just use the following formula in the next blank row:

=INT([ID number]10) + 1

(the 10 can be changed to whatever the last row that a number is populated in)

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!